Brew Wash vs Oxiclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Time for another great debate!

move been using this:

https://www.brewcitysolutions.com/product/brew-clean-non-caustic-brewery-cleaner/
https://www.brewcitysolutions.com/product/brew-clean-non-caustic-brewery-cleaner/
Im getting a little concerned about breathing it in, the steam going around my house where a toddler and infant live, etc. Contemplating oxiclean (the green lid) to replace. Does it work as well? Is it just as toxic? Does it rinse as well with very hot water? Will I worry about my kiddos, and spreading the chemical around the kitchen, as much?

Jackson

ive used oxiclean clear from day 1. it doesnt take much . 1 tbsp per 5 gallons is plenty. yes, it rinses off with hot water. I add 1 oz of bleach if i have really dirty bottles. let them soak in hottest water from the tap. drain, rinse, star san just before bottling.

Time for another great debate!

move been using this:

Im getting a little concerned about breathing it in, the steam going around my house where a toddler and infant live, etc. Contemplating oxiclean (the green lid) to replace. Does it work as well? Is it just as toxic? Does it rinse as well with very hot water? Will I worry about my kiddos, and spreading the chemical around the kitchen, as much?

Jackson
Forgot to mention, another big concern of mine is the tubing I use for my mash pump. Once I clean it, I’m concerned I may not get all the brew wash out of it before using it to recirculate... even though I’m using the hottest tap water in the tubes. So there could be a little brew wash left in those lines, getting in my beer

Forgot to mention, another big concern of mine is the tubing I use for my mash pump. Once I clean it, I’m concerned I may not get all the brew wash out of it before using it to recirculate... even though I’m using the hottest tap water in the tubes. So there could be a little brew wash left in those lines, getting in my beer
i dont use pumps. i tried it for a couple brews and it just didnt work for me . I like simplicity . I just let gravity and a long handled stainless steel spoon work for me. You dont need a pump to mash , just stir it a couple times when you add water to eliminate the cold/hot spots and let it do its thing. I stir it again mid-mash while I check the temperature. Another reason I dont use a pump is the same reason of your concern, just one more place that mold ,gunk of some kind or a cleaner can get hung up in the system and ruin a batch of beer ,only takes a speck of something. You could just hook up your pump and circulate and back flush cleaner through your system and work your hand valve while its running. Is your valve one that you can disassemble and clean thoroughly?
If you cant get to every crack, crevice, nook and cranny to clean, you run the risk of an infection eventually. Ive read about it so many times.
The only times I use tubing is for transferring from BK to the fermenter and during the bottling process. Transfer from fermenter to bottling bucket and then bucket to bottle via bottling wand. Every time I finish ,the tubing gets a dunk in hot bleach water and then hung up on a nail and drained so no mold forms. I also change out my 6 ft of tubing every year .

After rinsing out, or pumping water through, if the water coming out still feels slick, there's probably detergent left.
Most detergents rinse away well and quickly.
Looks more like an industrial brewery detergent. Yup, CIP applications.

It tells you not to breathe in the mist, like from a spray bottle or CIP ball. The carryover of product in vapor and such during regular use should be quite minimal, I wouldn't worry about steam/vapor that makes it around the house, unless your kiddos breathe it in hanging their heads over your kettle/buckets/etc. while you're heating or boiling it.

But keep the product (as any other cleaners and chemicals) well away from them. Avoid skin contact and breathing in the powder when scooping or pouring it out. Even breathing in kitty litter dust can/will cause problems, and that's a much friendlier product.

It looks similar to PBW, likely an even stronger oxidizing agent.

Oxiclean scent-free or (homemade) PBW is probably all you need. Homemade "PBW" is 70% Oxiclean, 30% TSP or TSP/90. For most brewery equipment cleaning, washing soda or Oxiclean is sufficient. Where extra oomph is needed, the addition of TSP or TSP/90 does it, especially when used warm or hot.

You don't have to worry too much about getting your mash tubing to a level of cleanliness and sanitation as you would wort or beer transfer tubing and fermenters. Anything from the mash is used before the boil. Just clean/Oxi/well rinsed is enough.

The label does say avoid breathing mist and use adequate ventilation.
Get PBW it's safe and only a little more per pound than what your paying for Brew Clean

Back