Brew System Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUbrady

Reaction score
I finally am finding the time to get together the supplies and materials needed to build a new system and am trying to decide how exactly I want to build it. I have have most of it figured out so far, but there are a few components that I cannot decide on what I want to do. I have decided to go with a complete electric system with a RIMS system, 1 pump for the time being until I have more funding to get a couple more. The areas that I am not sure of what method I want to go with are the chilling and fermenting. As far as fermenting goes I cannot decide whether I want to do a glycol chilling method or a fermentation chamber style. I am thinking the fermentation chamber method might be easier and cheaper for the time being and easier to control the temperatures. On the chilling methods I am thinking about do an in-line CFC chiller instead of a coiled one that way I can hide it in the brew stand. I am not sure if it would be possible to use glycol to chill the wort if I decide to do glycol controlled fermenting. With all of this said, I would obviously like to spend the smallest amount possible without effecting the quality of the beer. Also with the glycol chilling and fermentation methods I have noticed that a lot people use old Window AC units. I would like to be as environmentally friendly as possible and not have a significant increase in operating costs over time as these pieces of equipment are running. If it is at all possible to use any of the equipment for multiple processes that would be beneficial as well. I am new to the building of a system and am tired of brewing 5 gallon batches using one kettle on the stove top, so I am open to all advice and thank you in advance.

I'd say buy once, cry once. Building a system isn't cheap. I learned that the hard way.:D If you're planning on a multi vessel electric anything, draw it out on a piece of paper and buy the good stuff one piece at a time.

Thank you,

Yeah I am currently in the works of modeling it all up in SolidWorks in my spare time while I hammer out the details of everything else so that way I can get a more clear idea of how everything will fit together. I guess I am also pondering the idea of an electric HERMS as well. Just trying to get all the information and advice clear before I start so that way I can try to build an efficient system.

I went for herms over rims, but I think it would be fair to say it's 50/50 around here. Herms seemed easier to me.

If I didn't have a therminator I'd have a cfc. I should have read more about those things too. They both work better than an immersion chiller though.

I would have to give a +1 to a plate chiller. Have not used counter flow, but have been using a long 30 plate for about 4 years and have been very happy. No matter how you do it, the temperature of your counterflow water is going to dictate how fast you can drop the temp of your wort. In the summer it takes me ~15 minutes to bring ~6 gal from 212F to about 70F. In the dead of winter that time drops to ~7 or 8 minutes.

The other thing people get hung up on is cleaning the plate chiller. I have had no issue with this, but I manage may hops well (bags for both whole leaf and pellets). There are other ways around this too. As long as you dont let it sit with much in it and hit it with PBW after each use, you should be fine. With a pump its easy to recirculate through the plate chiller and get it really clean.

Also, as far as fermentation goes, I would suggest a fermentation chamber of some sort. Its much more straight forward than the glycol systems and you can cold crash with it. Of those, a large chest freezer and a thermostat will get you into very precise and stable temps with the least effort.

As far as RIMS/HERMS goes, HERMS does seem a lot easier but I think I would be happier with a RIMS. I guess we will have to see how ambitious I am.

The reason I am leaning towards the CFC is because I could make it myself for a lot cheaper than buying a Plate Chiller.

I already have a medium chest freezer that I am sadly using for food at the moment. I want to get another one to use for a Keezer. I would like to minimize the amount of times and height it is that I have to lift the Fermenters and kegs into it's appropriate vestibule.

As far as a fermentation chamber goes, I have seen a couple projects that use an old AC unit so that way they can have different temperatures. Would that be a good idea instead of using a chest freezer at 1 temperature?

I have 2 fridges and a keezer in my garage, with a ranco etc on each. The fridges were free, the temp controllers were affordable and easy to wire, plus I didn't have to take a window ac unit apart. I wouldn't want to lift my fermenters in and out of a keezer, I like to do 10 gallon batches though. That's why I've really liked using a fridge as a ferm chamber, the front opens and it's a short lift.

Hmm a garage would solve a lot of the issues with the lack of space as well. I should have specified the system that I will be building will be for 10 gallon batches as well. You say you have a keezer, do you not have to lift the kegs into that?

I have not found them that cheap before. Is this what you use? If so does it work well for you?

Latest posts

Back