Brew System: BrewEasy or Build My Own?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
So, I hope to have a new home in the coming months, and with that, I hope to have a brew area of my own. My experience consists of partial mashes (up to 6-7 pounds). I have not done all-grain, but would like to make the switch. My current process is very labor intensive (all brewing is, I know), and at times dangerous. I need to work on my process and would like to have a system in which to grow into.

I have read the BrewEasy thread, and the thought of an automated (preferably electric) system is very attractive to me. I must say that the system is intimidating, as I have no/little experience with things like calculating efficiency, water chemistry, stuck sparges, etc. Again, I will grow into whatever system I choose.

I will mainly be brewing 5 gallon batches, but want flexibility to do 10 gallon batches. Sounds like 5 gallon batches on 10 gallon BrewEasy electric system is not optimal. I would be open to a gas system (I have a Blichmann Burner), but electric is attractive.

Current equipment:

-Keggle w thermometer, sight glass, valve (this would be HLT in new system)

-Blichmann burner.

-8 gallon pot with valve and thermometer

My brother-in-law is a welder and his buddies are all welders/fabricators and have offered to build me a stand/system. I like the 2.5/Tippy Dump style. Any self-built system would most likely be propane fired.

Bottom line:

What would you do? Can I build a system for less than what a BrewEasy would cost (around $2500)?

Thoughts/Advice is appreciated.

Can I build a system for less than what a BrewEasy would cost (around $2500)?

you can build 4 systems for that money. It all comes down to what you want to do. A quarter of that money will build a badass BIAB system. 1/2 that money will have a commercially available BIAB system delivered to your doorstep.

You're assuming he/she wants to do BIAB. Of course you can build an electric AG system for less but would it meet the time constraints of the builder not to mention accumulating and calibrating an automated system.

Start by researching other people's systems and decide what you want. Make a list of desirable ideas and put them together. Know why you want something

Like a single tier? I styled my own 3 tier after the MoreBeer tippy dump for well under $2500. The stand can grow with you too, all you'll need is larger kettles. Do you want to brew indoors or out? That's where I would start.

The idea of a RIMs is attractive to me..I'm just not sure I could build a gas one that cheaply. And I'm new to all grain, not handy (i would need to pay someone, but they would work cheap.)

Electric provides the ability to brew inside, and not having to buy propane is fantastic.

Current equipment:

-Keggle w thermometer, sight glass, valve (this would be HLT in new system)

-Blichmann burner.

-8 gallon pot with valve and thermometer

My brother-in-law is a welder and his buddies are all welders/fabricators and have offered to build me a stand/system. I like the 2.5/Tippy Dump style. Any self-built system would most likely be propane fired.

Bottom line:

What would you do? Can I build a system for less than what a BrewEasy would cost (around $2500)?

Well you are almost to a brew easy style system. Put a false bottom and a recirculation port in your 8 gallon pot, add a chugger pump and a simple wooden stand for the mash tun and bob is your uncle. You should be able to do that for $300 or less. If you look at my old posts I put a picture of at least an older version of my system. I now have a blichmann burner, 15 gallon brew pot, and a blichmann 10 gallon mash tun with an autosparge. I did this as it gives me the flexibility of both 5 and 10 gallon batches. I assumed for my purposes that the only 10 gallon batches I would do are relatively low gravity e.g. 1.055 max.

Question: Would you enjoy the challenges/hardships/rewards of designing and building a system?

I'm sure many/most of the off the shelf systems can get the job done, but do they brew they way you do or want to?

You can build an amazing custom system with tons of automation for $2500, but you have to factor in the labor of love. You'll pay yourself zilch per hour in sweat equity, but have a lifetime of memories.

Just depends on what you value. I honestly enjoyed researching, designing (and redesigning), and building my system. I also enjoy the pride in knowing that the beer I make is both awesome, and a product of my own ingenuity and hard work.

If this floats your boat - you're in the right place. Get researching and dream big!! $2500 buys you a sweet ride in your choose your own custom rig adventure.

P

I agree that building your own system can be very rewarding if you enjoy doing that kind of thing. If you have the tools know how and understanding of what you want and how to do it. There are some of us that may be able to build our own but don't have the tools or time to. That is why the problems have been removed by manufactures to give use different ways to brew with different types of systems. I'm just saying, figure out what you want then make the plunge to do it. Ask questions about a system as needed but remember that most brewers are mostly set in their ways and try to answer your questions to their way of thinking (you'll get may answers to one question) so in the end its up to you. What you want and how will you go about getting to the end product. IMHO

Thanks everyone.

Building my own would we certainly be rewarding. The thing is: someone else (my BIL & his buddies) would be building it.

I guess my concerns about building my own would be:

-That would most likely limit me to propane/gas fired system. My head keeps bringing me towards electric.

-Do I have enough knowledge to build a system correctly? I would need to put a ton of research in...especially if I want a RIMS system.

I started to price things out:

For stainless steel for 2 tier/3 vesssel rig:

-$600 for SS

-2 pots: (15G MT & 20G BK)....$800-$1200...Depending on if I go with two Blichmann pots or not.

-2 Banjo Burners= $120

-Steelhead pump= $180

-Chiller (Therminator)+ $200

I'm already pushing $2K.....That's without labor cost (I would need to pay these kids something) and I left out a lot of items.

keep researching my friend. pots can be had a crapload cheaper than Blichmans. SSBrewtech 15gallon kettles run $249.
Beer kegs make awesome kettles/mashtuns and can usually be gotten $75 or under.
There's a million ways to do this, to do it cheaply takes some ingenuity and research

I have a breweasy and LOVE it. I came from extracts, to a fully decked out keggle system that I built myself, and finally ended up with the breweasy.

I'm fine with building my own equipment (I'm an engineer by trade) but after doing my research, I settled on the electric turn key system and haven't looked back. If you have them money allocated, I don't think you'll be sorry.

I started to price things out:

For stainless steel for 2 tier/3 vesssel rig:

-$600 for SS

-2 pots: (15G MT & 20G BK)....$800-$1200...Depending on if I go with two Blichmann pots or not.

-2 Banjo Burners= $120

-Steelhead pump= $180

-Chiller (Therminator)+ $200

I'm already pushing $2K.....That's without labor cost (I would need to pay these kids something) and I left out a lot of items.

Blichmann stuff is sooo expensive. I love my Spike Brewing gear. Plus they just came out with their new v3 kettles :drool: http://spikebrewing.com

Yes I got the 120V EBC-SV recirc system I really like the ease and simplicity of use with it.

Back