Brew Shop - An Android Homebrew App

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forked, I have some ideas and code from another project I was working on (StrangeBrew Android), but I got distracted with StrangeBrew Elsinore.

Just noticed that there was only rounding to 1 decimal place. Not a huge deal but I would think you might want to do rounding to 2 decimal places. I was entering a few small batch recipes with .25 oz hops additions and it would round up to .3 oz.

I am starting to brew and this software looks great can it be used here in brazil?
i tried and it says it does not work im my country.

Just noticed that there was only rounding to 1 decimal place. Not a huge deal but I would think you might want to do rounding to 2 decimal places. I was entering a few small batch recipes with .25 oz hops additions and it would round up to .3 oz.

Good call. The next version will have hop ounces specified up to 3 decimal places (to support 1/8 oz. fractions too) and malt ounces up to 2 places.

I am starting to brew and this software looks great can it be used here in brazil?
i tried and it says it does not work im my country.

I just went ahead and expanded distribution to all countries. It should be available soon.

Just a couple of small updates for v1.7.3. Fixed a crash bug that would happen occasionally when resuming the application. Also added ability to specify yeast quantity in 'packs' when adding yeast to your inventory.

I'm currently working on the Metric conversion:

https://github.com/edrews/BrewShopApp/issues/2

I hope to have this done soon. Once approved by edrews, I imagine an update will be published!

Thanks!

Thanks lazysunday! I'll push another update once this chunk of work is complete.

Hi everyone. I've started integrating the inventory portion of the app with the recipe creation part. Now it'll indicate next to the recipe ingredients if you have enough in your inventory or how much you need to go purchase.

In the future we'll add an option to restrict ingredient addition to only those items in your inventory. Then you can more easily create recipes from what you have around the house.

Let me know what you think of the new features if you get a chance. Thanks!

Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-55-56.png

Once the inventory integration is complete a "shopping list" button once a recipe is complete. What are your thoughts so far on "cloud integration"?

What do you have in mind for a shopping list feature? We could support emailing yourself a copy, uploading it to Google Drive or Dropbox, etc. Maybe we could support the general Android 'Share' button too.

I think our first crack at adding cloud support will be remote backup of recipes and inventory. Sharing recipes with a community of users would be cool but I think we'd need to develop some custom backend support. We may be able to integrate with existing services that host online recipe databases but I haven't found one yet that publishes a web interface for doing so. I'll keep my eye out though. Cheers. :mug:

Basically just a tidy output of what you need to buy. It could even be in the app. I don't think the shopping list needs to go somewhere else. Maybe if there is a demand for it, but I think that is unnecessary complexity. The app is light and quick so keeping it that way is important. Another thing is to have a universal shopping list for non-ingrediant stuff. Say you need to buy some draft tubing and pickup some spare hose clamps. That should be available. And then when you "go shopping" you can combine lists into one concise list. Say you have 3 recipes you are getting set to brew and you need some star-san. When you click for your shopping list it prompts you which lists to buy. You then check the boxes and it compiles one list from there.

The shopping list could be Part of a "brew day" flow. Once you finalize the recipe you click the "brew" button which gives you a menu or interface of some kind. In this interface you would see "shopping" "brew prep" and maybe "brew day" or something of the like. Shopping is easy. Just a list with a way to check off what you bought while you are browsing the web or your lhbs. "brew prep" would be things like getting ice, water, grains crushed, hops weighed, grain weighed. Things like that. Maybe have an "advanced" section that could expand with a reminder to calibrate and record your results from pH meter calibration. Anything that a brewer might need to make sure is in line before starting to brew. And then the brew day flow would be timers and recipe highlights. Ya know, heat to xº and dough-in. Whatever it is. I know that after brewing for a while I know my process for pretty much everything. But having a quick list or have a way to keep track of the pH meter electrode stability over time would be great.

As far as cloud stuff, just being able to share between devices would be nice. Not necesarily a web interface now or even in the future. Look at instagram.... but being able tos ave to google drive and then pull it up on my tablet would be great. Or design onthe tablet and pull it up on the phone for brew day. I don't know if that is possible. But it would be rad.

Last edited:
On the brewday list it could have the ingredients list and there could be a color indicator for in inventory and need to buy then the ability to change the status to purchased in case you have to make multiple visits to get everything you need.

Any plans for adding substitutions on ingredients?

Also we have been brewing 12g batches lately so it would be cool to setup a system profile so efficiency and batch size are auto corrected.

Working great on LG G3

My phone died. The replacement comes Tuesday. Does the App store to the SD card or will I have lost my recipe? Back-up the SD card or cloud would be nice, if it is not there already. Great work so far.

Basically just a tidy output of what you need to buy. It could even be in the app. I don't think the shopping list needs to go somewhere else. Maybe if there is a demand for it, but I think that is unnecessary complexity.

Cool, I agree. We'll keep an eye out for a simple way to implement this/present it to the user.

As far as cloud stuff, just being able to share between devices would be nice. Not necesarily a web interface now or even in the future. Look at instagram.... but being able tos ave to google drive and then pull it up on my tablet would be great. Or design onthe tablet and pull it up on the phone for brew day. I don't know if that is possible. But it would be rad.

In the next few days I'm going to start working cloud backup via Google Drive or Dropbox. I've done Dropbox API development before but I assume more people will have Google accounts since, you know, it's Android.

Any plans for adding substitutions on ingredients?
Also we have been brewing 12g batches lately so it would be cool to setup a system profile so efficiency and batch size are auto corrected.

I very much want to add common hop substitutions. That's something I often find myself looking up when I'm doing recipe hunting prior to brew day.

User 'lazysunday' is working on an app wide settings page that will eventually support things like configuring default recipe values. More on this to come...

Just finishing off BeerXML support. A good use of a friday night.

Your modifications on GitHub look great so far. I can't think of a better use of a friday night.

My phone died. The replacement comes Tuesday. Does the App store to the SD card or will I have lost my recipe? Back-up the SD card or cloud would be nice, if it is not there already. Great work so far.

Once DougEdey has completed adding BeerXML support we'll look into backing up recipes locally as a BeerXML file. For now though your recipes are lost to time and space. Also FYI you'll lose recipes if you uninstall Brew Shop too. This will be fixed in the future with our work on cloud storage sync.

Hey Edrews I just wanted to say that you have put together an amazing home brew tool. Thanks for all the hard work you have put into this!

Hey, thank you for your encouragement! If you don't mind, would you care to repeat those *exact* words in a review for the app on Google Play? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brew.brewshop :D

Cheers everyone and thanks for your help. :mug:

Installed and had a play...lots of potential! Any chance you'll have metric values for us folk not in north America? I can't quite get my head around ounces, pounds and gallons :)

Installed and had a play...lots of potential! Any chance you'll have metric values for us folk not in north America? I can't quite get my head around ounces, pounds and gallons :)

Honestly, I don't think anyone actually understands it. But yes we're definitely working on the addition of an app-wide 'Imperial/Metric' setting. Look for that in the next month or so. Thanks for checking it out!

I hope to have this fixed and submitted this week, there are just a few small adjustments needed.

Hey edrews.... Great job on the app. I've entered BierMuncher's centennial blonde and gotten very similar numbers to what is expected.

Any plans for adding mash info? Temps, steps, times, volumes, etc? Even just a nice way to record this info would be nice. If you wanted to get fancy, you could have a mash wizard that calculated infusion temps/volumes to achieve a particular mash step.

On a QC note, on my phone, the ingredients on the front page are clipped. I can only see the top half of the "xx% of grist" line under the main ingredient line. I'll try to add a screenshot at some point.

I'm on an LTE AWE N800, running the L-AWE v2.5beta custom ROM with android 4.1.2

Done(with a few more words), up to 3, 5 star reviews and 50+ downloads. Generally finding apps in this stage is like finding a finding a flower bud. Not the prettiest but it has potential. This app is so new and has already been polished out far beyond what many of the others have stopped at. I see you guys on the front page before to long.

Cheers

As soon as data backup is done and I can safely keep my recipes remotely then I plan to move all my recipes into this program. The way things are going I see myself using this exclusivly. On a side note, I accidently created a Google plus account the other day so now I can comment on the play store.

Hey edrews.... Great job on the app. I've entered BierMuncher's centennial blonde and gotten very similar numbers to what is expected.

Any plans for adding mash info? Temps, steps, times, volumes, etc? Even just a nice way to record this info would be nice. If you wanted to get fancy, you could have a mash wizard that calculated infusion temps/volumes to achieve a particular mash step.

Thanks jtratcliff. We don't have any immediate plans for mash info but I added it to our project backlog.
https://github.com/edrews/BrewShopApp/issues/21

On a QC note, on my phone, the ingredients on the front page are clipped. I can only see the top half of the "xx% of grist" line under the main ingredient line. I'll try to add a screenshot at some point.

This should be fixed in the next release. Let me know if it's still messed up. Android is a fickle mistress.

Done(with a few more words), up to 3, 5 star reviews and 50+ downloads. Generally finding apps in this stage is like finding a finding a flower bud. Not the prettiest but it has potential. This app is so new and has already been polished out far beyond what many of the others have stopped at. I see you guys on the front page before to long.
Cheers

Thanks for your support and for taking the time to give us a sweet review. Lots of good stuff to come.

As soon as data backup is done and I can safely keep my recipes remotely then I plan to move all my recipes into this program. The way things are going I see myself using this exclusivly. On a side note, I accidently created a Google plus account the other day so now I can comment on the play store.

DougEdey has made a huge amount of progress on adding BeerXML support under the hood already. I hope to turn on an 'Open' and 'Save' to BeerXML feature soon. Once this is complete we'll start work on syncing all recipes and inventory to Google Drive. Stay tuned.

Downloaded the app and input some recipes, I enjoy it but had one question and one idea.

I know I can put in custom malt but I was surprised to see Marris Otter not on the malt list, did I just miss it?

The idea I had is to set it up so that I can make a 5 gallon recipe and then if I change the gallons the quantity of ingredients will automatically change for the new batch size...just a thought great app

There's a big crash bug in the latest version of the app (1.9). Don't update yet if you haven't. Fix should be uploaded soon.Thanks to someone with a Nexus 4 for reporting it.

edrews-
I just downloaded the app, and was just kind of playing with it a bit. I really like the clean simple look, and it's wicked fast. I'll post more as I play with it more. I like it!

There's a big crash bug in the latest version of the app (1.9). Don't update yet if you haven't. Fix should be uploaded soon.Thanks to someone with a Nexus 4 for reporting it.

Version 1.9.1 is now available on Google Play with the fix. Ready to rock 'n roll.

nice looking app. quick and pretty intuitive. can you maybe look into adding a brewday function IE mash temps sparge qty fly or batch sparge option

Hey what about an option to work in Plato instead of sg?

That shouldn't be too hard. I'll add it to our TODO list.

Lately I've been spending some time writing UI tests for the app to reduce the number of regression bugs we encounter. As it turns out the test results also make neat little demo videos. I set this one to a song I found in the Creative Commons by an artist named Kevin MacLeod.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp9pkOCSXkc&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Got it to finally load on my S3. It was my fault as my security settings were on super high since I was out of the country. :eek:
Great app. I was wondering if there was a repository of recipies to download? Already have added a few of my own and this app makes for a great shopping list. No more forgetting, "aw, I needed crystal 120." Keep up the work!

I just pushed an update (v1.10) to Google Play with a couple of new features.

1) We've added support for opening and saving recipes in the BeerXML standard format. Several existing homebrew applications (Beersmith, Brewtoad, Strangebrew, etc.) already support this so you can now share recipes between them and Brew Shop. Thanks a ton to DougEdey for doing all the heavy lifting on this feature.

1.1) This also means you can back up all your Brew Shop recipes to your SD Card or Google Drive account in a standard format. This feature is great if you're one of those people who drops their phone into boiling wort during a hop addition...

2) There's also a new option in the recipe viewer to remove all recipe ingredients directly from your inventory. Now you can easily keep things up to date after brew day.

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks for the updates. How do a chose were the recipes are saved? For instance, if I want to use Google drive.
[Edit] found it...long press on name of recipe brings up the save icon.

Great app. I was wondering if there was a repository of recipies to download?

I've personally been using BrewToad recently. I like that site a lot for browsing recipes. Plus, each recipe has an "Export" button that lets you save it locally as BeerXML.

Switching gears, one of Brew Shop's astute users noticed their malts and hops weren't showing up when importing a BeerXML recipe. This turned out to be a major bug in the latest version of the app. This has been fixed in v1.10.1. I award this user a big No-Prize for letting me know. Thanks!

Back