Brew Salts Additions (Treat All or Not to Treat all)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan0stec

Reaction score
I have looked around at various threads to determine the answer to this question, but I thought I would put it out there to see if I could get the "precise" answers I am looking for. I have been adding salts/minerals to my brewing water for a while now and have been getting OK results. As I read and educate myself more, the better the results get.... Which leads to the question:
When adding the brewing salts, I start with RO water (Clean Slate). Using a combination of "Plamers_Mash_RA.xls" Sheet and the beersmith "Calculate best additions", I determine the appropriate amount of salts to add for my brew. Up until now, I determine the grist to water ratio to determine how much of the treated water will be taking part in the mash; (ie. 5 gallon batch, 3 gallons used in mash so the amount of "mash" water I use in the spreadsheet is 3 gallons.) I then extrapolate to the entire HLT and use the TOTAL amount of salts needed to treat 5 gallons. Therefore if only 3 gallons of this water is used in the mash, the ppm in that 3 gallons is the achieved amount in the spreadsheet, thus bringing my mash pH to appropriate levels. The remaining treated water is then used for the sparge.
-Is this the best way to be going about this?
OR
-Should I be creating a water profile specifically for my mash (Grist/water ratio) and then adding acid to the sparge water for best results?

Please let me know if you have experience either way and how your results are.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Latest posts

Back