Brew room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek_chaser

Reaction score
I am going to turn this into a brew room. Im thinking rub er floor like for a workout room, hooking the sink where the hot tub is, and a brewing tier, though a stove would rock too. Im currently using the keezer for a fermentation chamber. How many of you have remodeled brew rooms? Can I see pics for ideas?
20180616_112038.jpeg
20180616_112008.jpeg
20180616_112011.jpeg
20180616_112014.jpeg
20180616_112019.jpeg

As much as I like beer... I wouldn’t get rid of a tub like that!

If you want a tough industrial grade rubber floor, look into stuff called Eco Floor. It comes in all kinds of colors and is used in high traffic areas. It’s a solid roll that is glued down, not loose tiles that stuff gets under. I used one of the funky colors in a home game room/bar area and I love it.

A good flooring guy is needed to install it properly, but it’s tough and looks great.

You should be able to get some free samples if you look around online.

I’ll post a pic of some samples I have later.

As much as I like beer... I wouldn’t get rid of a tub like that!

If you want a tough industrial grade rubber floor, look into stuff called Eco Floor. It comes in all kinds of colors and is used in high traffic areas. It’s a solid roll that is glued down, not loose tiles that stuff gets under. I used one of the funky colors in a home game room/bar area and I love it.

A good flooring guy is needed to install it properly, but it’s tough and looks great.

You should be able to get some free samples if you look around online.

I’ll post a pic of some samples I have later.
Nice! We didnt want the tub to begin with. Came with the house. No one wants it because its not outside. I want to utilize the space to be practical. My husband will get my office downstairs and ill remodel and take this toom. I will look into that flooring. Thank you

Here's a pic of some Eco Floor samples I have. It's a slightly textured, non-skid surface, with just a tiny bit of give. I still wouldn't drop a hydrometer on it. :)

These samples are garish because that is what I needed but it comes in all kinds of colors.

9skZZph.jpg
Thats awesome. Thanks!

The 2 part epoxy floor kits they sell at home depot works really well.

Do you have a layout idea for your space yet?

Love that idea. I am planing a brew pub from scratch. Personally I'd start with removing that flooring and tile the floor. Punch a hole for exhaust if your doing propane. There are many ways to ferment temp control that don't require a cooler. Ice bath or recirculation. You'll need a deep sink for cleaning/washing. I wouldn't get rid of the other goodies in the room!!

I'd consider setting up system in the hot tub, then you could hose out all your spills and wash your pots right there, (though you probably neater than me, accidents happen ;)

Actually, I have a question about indoor brewing in general: Short of a high power, outdoor venting range hood, how do people boil their wort without putting unacceptable levels of steam in their rooms, let alone carbon monoxide if using gas?

Watco industrial paints make a selection of 2 part floor paints. Some are water based, and kick with mild odor, they have one called 'safety coat' I used in my cellar. It is very durable if you use two coats, non-slip, and costs a lot less than flooring.

The 2 part epoxy floor kits they sell at home depot works really well.

Do you have a layout idea for your space yet?
Once the tub is out and the room is cleared, putting a sink where the hot tub is and a stove next to that. Thats as far as I have gotten. Im still putting it together in my head, hence the need for ideas.

Love that idea. I am planing a brew pub from scratch. Personally I'd start with removing that flooring and tile the floor. Punch a hole for exhaust if your doing propane. There are many ways to ferment temp control that don't require a cooler. Ice bath or recirculation. You'll need a deep sink for cleaning/washing. I wouldn't get rid of the other goodies in the room!!
All but the hot tub will be either pushed aside to half the room or put in the garage. The hot tub is the only thing we want out.

I'd consider setting up system in the hot tub, then you could hose out all your spills and wash your pots right there, (though you probably neater than me, accidents happen ;)

Actually, I have a question about indoor brewing in general: Short of a high power, outdoor venting range hood, how do people boil their wort without putting unacceptable levels of steam in their rooms, let alone carbon monoxide if using gas?

Watco industrial paints make a selection of 2 part floor paints. Some are water based, and kick with mild odor, they have one called 'safety coat' I used in my cellar. It is very durable if you use two coats, non-slip, and costs a lot less than flooring.
I use my kitchen for now, so I might out an electric stove in there too since Im used to that. Otherwise we would put a vent in. As for the steam, it fills the house with a beautiful smell. [emoji4]

I use my kitchen for now, so I might out an electric stove in there too since Im used to that. Otherwise we would put a vent in. As for the steam, it fills the house with a beautiful smell. [emoji4]

I like the smell of boiling wort too, but in the quantities and frequency I brew, it would be bad to vent that much steam in a closed structure, for mold and mildew reasons.

Picture of my brew room:

IMG_2584.JPG

Draw the area you have to scale on graph paper. Then mark the existing facilities like power outlets, water and drains. Once you have that you can start sketching in the equipment.

If you draw something you like, mentally walk through a brew day with that layout to be sure it works well and to identify potential improvements.

Are you doing electric or gas?

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, +1 on the idea of painting the floor with the rubber sealant. It could get real nasty of wort got under tiles. There are more important things to worry about... like the next awesome beer to brew.

Draw the area you have to scale on graph paper. Then mark the existing facilities like power outlets, water and drains. Once you have that you can start sketching in the equipment.

If you draw something you like, mentally walk through a brew day with that layout to be sure it works well and to identify potential improvements.

Are you doing electric or gas?
Electric preferably.

Back