Brew perfect.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using the Tilt since it first came out. I looked at other wireless hydrometers, but didn't like how they all had to be put in the airlock. The Brew Perfect site makes it sound like you need a Bluetooth receiver within a few feet, but the newer Tilts work 30+ feet away even in a stainless fermenter and fridge.

Since www.thebeerbug.com now forwards to www.beerperfect.com am I right in assuming brew perfect is the new name for the beer bug? Has anything else changed other than the name such as the ownership?

It looks like beer perfect uses a wifi connection, not bluetooth.

Has anyone tried a beer perfect? I searched for reviews on google and couldn't find any.

I've been using the Tilt since it first came out. I looked at other wireless hydrometers, but didn't like how they all had to be put in the airlock. The Brew Perfect site makes it sound like you need a Bluetooth receiver within a few feet, but the newer Tilts work 30+ feet away even in a stainless fermenter and fridge.
Can you use the tilt with an stc-1000?

I believe some people have been working on such things, but the Tilt works via BT and their app on an iPhone/iPad/Android.

Can you use the tilt with an stc-1000?

The Tilt merely reports the specific gravity and temperature. I know they have a Raspberry Pi image so if you're handy/creative you could probably hook up an Aurdino controller to link the two together. I simply use an Inkbird 310T to manage controlling the temperature.

I'm not sure what happened to BrewBug, but BrewPerfect apparently bought out BrewBug, and they (so far) have been doing their best to support the earlier product. The new BrewPerfect site https://www.brewperfect.com/ and the iPhone application both support the earlier BrewBug hydrometers, and the folks there have been helpful. The major difference is that the Tilt uses Bluetooth for communications, the BrewPerfect uses a WiFi link. Since I have to travel a lot for work, the WiFi link seemed to be a better fit for my purposes. I have not yet had a chance to try the BrewPerfect "new and improved" model yet, but will post if/when I do.

I'm not sure what happened to BrewBug, but BrewPerfect apparently bought out BrewBug, and they (so far) have been doing their best to support the earlier product. The new BrewPerfect site https://www.brewperfect.com/ and the iPhone application both support the earlier BrewBug hydrometers, and the folks there have been helpful. The major difference is that the Tilt uses Bluetooth for communications, the BrewPerfect uses a WiFi link. Since I have to travel a lot for work, the WiFi link seemed to be a better fit for my purposes. I have not yet had a chance to try the BrewPerfect "new and improved" model yet, but will post if/when I do.
Beerbug never really had a chance. They kept drastically changing their pricing by hundreds(trying to feel out the market I guess) and instead of letting the devices just work as stand alone devices they made them so they needed to be "supported" and used with online software to work which scared a lot of people away as the company could charge for this functionality as well as go under and leave people hanging which is what I think what happened for months when beerbugs support went down and owners where left complaining about it here.

The Tilt merely reports the specific gravity and temperature. I know they have a Raspberry Pi image so if you're handy/creative you could probably hook up an Aurdino controller to link the two together. I simply use an Inkbird 310T to manage controlling the temperature.
the yet to be released 1.1 version of brucontrol is supposed to have this functionality. Then users can write simple scripts to automate fermentation temp ramps and cold crashing.

I've got a Brew Perfect now (couldn't resist the 30% discount I spun on the big wheel at Homebrewcon!) and will report back once I've brewed with it.

This thread is a little cold, but I just finished a hands on review of the Brew Perfect. I've used the Tilt for a little while, and now have used the Brew Perfect as well. I absolutely love having gravity data logging. Anybody that says it's pointless is probably somebody who has never used and thus can't see the value. At the start of my Brew Perfect review below I outline 3 areas where I think gravity logging during fermentation is helpful. Also, I put the link for my Tilt review. Let me know if you have any questions beyond what I wrote about in these.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2018/09/hands-on-review-brew-perfect-wifi-digital-hydrometer.html

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2018/02/hands-on-review-tilt-bluetooth-fermentation-hydrometer.html

Very interesting reviews, micraftbeer. I've been looking at both the tilt and brew perfect.

I'm intrigued - however, I use a Brewjacket that uses a heat exchange rod that sits in the middle of the wort with a head unit at the top to heat/cool your wort (picture here: https://www.brewjacket.com/product/immersion-pro-dual-heating-cooling/

Do you think the Tilt and/or Brew Perfect would work with this setup? I'm wondering if the Tilt, for example, would get thrown off by the temperature of the exchange rod and not the actual wort or something.

Very interesting reviews, micraftbeer. I've been looking at both the tilt and brew perfect.

I'm intrigued - however, I use a Brewjacket that uses a heat exchange rod that sits in the middle of the wort with a head unit at the top to heat/cool your wort (picture here: https://www.brewjacket.com/product/immersion-pro-dual-heating-cooling/

Do you think the Tilt and/or Brew Perfect would work with this setup? I'm wondering if the Tilt, for example, would get thrown off by the temperature of the exchange rod and not the actual wort or something.
I'm using that setup (tilt + brewjacket) with no issues.

I'm wondering if the Tilt, for example, would get thrown off by the temperature of the exchange rod and not the actual wort or something.

I've used the Tilt with the BrewJacket many times. One key learning I had actually helped me on my BrewJacket setup. The Tilt floats on top so it's reading wort temperature on top. If you have your BrewJacket temperature sensor in the middle of your wort volume, the two will give you different readings (Tilt will read warmer than your control temperature). After talking to BrewJacket folks about this, they actually recommend if you're doing a fermentation that requires heating input, that you tape the temperature probe toward the top. Otherwise with convective heat currents and all that, you could be creating a warmer than planned fermentation. So now I'm taping the temperature probe towards top of my wort level.

If also add that from a fermentor lid perspective, I don't think the Brew Perfect and BrewJacket are compatible because there's not enough room on top of the fermentor. So when using the BrewPerfect, I had to use different fermentation temperature control.

Latest posts

Back