Brew on premises store in Youngstown, Cleveland, or Pittsburg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I will be moving to Youngstown Ohio to get my Master's degree next Fall and of course there is no way to brew on campus where I will be living the first year. Please tell me there is a brew on premises store in or around one of these cities or my brewing days are over for a while:( Of course in two years I'll be able to afford to outfit a house like a micro-brewery if it pleases me, but the thought of two whole years brewless:mad:

There are none that I know of. Plenty of home brewers and clubs in the Ytown area. Shouldn't be too hard to work out something.

Are you moving soon to Youngstown? If so, let me know. I'll be there the first week of October, maybe we can meet up for a beer.

I don't know of any BOP type places. There aren't even that many LHBS, either. There was one in Austintown, but he closed this spring. There is one in Struthers, called the Pumphouse I believe.

That is the only one I know of. Though, for a homebrewer it is a ripoff. I want to say that I heard it was around $150.00 to byo for maybe 5-10 gallons. It is however worth going for many rounds of drinks. The bar they have there serves many of their own beers and lots of guest taps.

The Brew Kettle is a great place to eat and have a few beers. If you brew there you get 72, 22 oz beers. If you come up with less because you downed a few while you bottled, then you pick some from their cooler to make up the difference. Great food and good beer, it's the only BOP I know of in the area.

I know there is a HBS in Warren somewhere, and mine is Abruzzo's in Kent.

Edit: Just found one in Youngstown with "The Google".

The Brew Kettle is a great place to eat and have a few beers. If you brew there you get 72, 22 oz beers. If you come up with less because you downed a few while you bottled, then you pick some from their cooler to make up the difference. Great food and good beer, it's the only BOP I know of in the area.

I know there is a HBS in Warren somewhere, and mine is Abruzzo's in Kent.

Edit: Just found one in Youngstown with "The Google".

That one, Billy D's, is closed. Billy had some issue with LD Carlson, from what he told me.

Interestingly enough, I was in there around Christmas time last year and was chatting with the owner. Someone walked in and said, "Hey! Are you Yooper?" It was Hermit, a fellow HBTer! I was buying a sack of grain and talking, and Hermit "recognized" me from my truck with MI plates!

That one, Billy D's, is closed. Billy had some issue with LD Carlson, from what he told me.

Interestingly enough, I was in there around Christmas time last year and was chatting with the owner. Someone walked in and said, "Hey! Are you Yooper?" It was Hermit, a fellow HBTer! I was buying a sack of grain and talking, and Hermit "recognized" me from my truck with MI plates!

Well, you had posted you would be in Ytown, so I took a wild guess.

# 1 No alcohol allowed on campus. I know, yeah right. I am sure though if I busted out with the propane burners, grains, igloo cooler, mash paddle and hops my butt would be asked to leave.

#2 How am I going to get all the water, both for brewing and wort chilling, outside of the dorms?

#3 Even though I will be paying extra for a private room, as at my age I don't want to hear a bed squeak to hip-hop music at three in the morning, I wouldn't have the space to store all my stuff.

# 1 No alcohol allowed on campus. I know, yeah right. I am sure though if I busted out with the propane burners, grains, igloo cooler, mash paddle and hops my butt would be asked to leave.

#2 How am I going to get all the water, both for brewing and wort chilling, outside of the dorms?

#3 Even though I will be paying extra for a private room, as at my age I don't want to hear a bed squeak to hip-hop music at three in the morning, I wouldn't have the space to store all my stuff.

Sent you a PM with my email address. I'm 10/15 minutes from campus.

That is the only one I know of. Though, for a homebrewer it is a ripoff. I want to say that I heard it was around $150.00 to byo for maybe 5-10 gallons. It is however worth going for many rounds of drinks. The bar they have there serves many of their own beers and lots of guest taps.

Well I got to thinking about it. You get 72 22oz brews. That's well over twice what I usually make. Since you're not making separate purchases of propane, bottles, equipment, water for brewing, cooling water, ingredients, shipping, no clean up time, etc. it is expensive, but not out of the question to brew there maybe four times a year or so.

I have to agree with the poster who said there is fun in the brewing process itself.

Are you moving soon to Youngstown? If so, let me know. I'll be there the first week of October, maybe we can meet up for a beer.

I don't know of any BOP type places. There aren't even that many LHBS, either. There was one in Austintown, but he closed this spring. There is one in Struthers, called the Pumphouse I believe.

No Not soon. Next Fall when school starts. I am going after a Master's in counseling.

No Not soon. Next Fall when school starts. I am going after a Master's in counseling.

Oh, ok. My dad is about 8 miles from the campus- when you're ready, maybe I can work something out where you can maybe store some equipment and brew in his driveway/yard/porch or something. He's a neat freak, but he has a 4 bedroom (smaller) house so he may enjoy helping out a fellow beerlover.

My dad hates homebrew, though! He only drinks my cream ale.

One good thing is it will force me to do some wine kits, which I have been meaning to do for a while. No boiling to them, so they can be done in the secret confines of my room. I actually have to kits I have had for almost a year and never got around to doing. Just recently the air conditioner window unit started leaking in on the inside of the window and I didn't notice for a few days and it soaked the boxes which then fell apart so I had to repack them. Luckey everything except the woodchips is sealed in water proof containers and oak chips are cheap enough to replace.

I should enjoy wine making. I did some of Ed Wort's killer apple juice and that was so easy and tasted so good. I only drank a little bit as I am giving it away in 22 oz bottles in 12 packs for a couple of Christmas parties where there will only be a few people. I am not going to give any warning about alcohol content. I am just going to kick back and watch all the fun. :tank:

Back