Brew Jacket - Immersion Lager Stick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCHawgy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was about to close brewtoad after an evening of brewing when i saw this ad that caught my eye... so I investigated further. And no, I am not advocating this product, I am merely curious if anyone has used one or heard about it. The "Brew Jacket" is like a giant heatsink rod that sits in your fermenter and absorbs the heat out of the wort/beer while allowing you to control the temp making it possible to ferment lagers in a 70 degree room (so it claims). It looks interesting... but almost too simple. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these because I'd be interested to see how well the Brew Jacket works since it is interesting technology. Also thought I would share.

topview_skinny.jpg

http://www.brewjacket.com/

FWIW, I'd probably be able to build a good sized and quality fermentation chamber for the cost of 2 of these enabling me to ferment a larger quantity of lager at a time. :tank:

Yes they work, but they are expensive and you have to modify your existing equipment, you can't use glass carboys, you REALLY have to monitor blowoff conditions, and it significantly diminishes head space. Oh, did I mention they are more expensive than a decent sized chest freezer + STC-1000?

I think this company caters exclusively to people trying to lager in their closets. If it was me, I would save a few more bones and get a stainless chronical with temp control. SS Brewtech's temp control unit is way nicer and a much better buy at $250.

I can see where the issues are there. I suppose the application would be very specific to closet fermenters, as you said. I agree with spending the money elsewhere. Thx for sharing your input!

Back