brew in a basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of them costs $81 once you factor in shipping to the US, and the other is $66. A shame because the dimensions are just about perfect for my 14" kettle.

Shipping kills it.

You can get a custom bag from Wilser plus a hop bag, a dry hop bag and a pulley for $37 including s/h. I've got two, one for my 1G batches and 1 for my 5G batches and couldn't be happier with them

The fine mesh hop bags are convenient and I use them. But sometimes I obsess over the possibility that these small bags constrain the hops, limiting their potency. That's why a full size stainless basket is such a cool idea. But they are prohibitively expensive for a task that ultimately is not that difficult to solve in simpler ways.

If you're comparing a bag to a basket in terms of price, the bag will always be cheaper. Try comparing one of these baskets to one you get from the US fabricators. The baskets made here are multiple times the price of the ones on Ali Express.

Baskets are much cheaper in the long run than bags. They also make it easier to do recirculating mashes. One of the best decisions I made as a homebrewer was ditching the bag and going to a basket.

I like the bag better because I can squeeze the bag. I get about 1/2 gallon extra that way and it raises my efficiency about 5%.

I make 5-6 gallon batches and can handle the weight of the grains but I would imagine that with 10+ gallons it would get unwieldy.

Well that all depends on how often you're brewing and how long your going to live... :)

Arbor Fab 60qt basket with feet and bail is about $250, and a bag is $27. A bag can last 100 batches...

Much cheaper?

I brew 25-30 batches a year. My basket was $145 from Arbofab. I was on my third $30 bag and ready to buy another when I decided I was done wasting money on bags that wear out. I plan on living another 20-30 years and have been brewing biab for about 5 years and brewing total about 20 years.

I brew 25-30 batches a year. My basket was $145 from Arbofab. I was on my third $30 bag and ready to buy another when I decided I was done wasting money on bags that wear out. I plan on living another 20-30 years and have been brewing biab for about 5 years and brewing total about 20 years.

Hmmm....I only brew about 15 batches a year, and have been doing BIAB for about 10 years and am already on my second paint strainer bag that cost me $3.78 for the pair. What are you doing so different that you go through bags so fast and where are you buying these inferior bags for so much money?

Hmmm....I only brew about 15 batches a year, and have been doing BIAB for about 10 years and am already on my second paint strainer bag that cost me $3.78 for the pair. What are you doing so different that you go through bags so fast and where are you buying these inferior bags for so much money?

I was wondering the same. That's about 50 batches per bag. A good bag will last a lot longer than that. Hell my cheapo bag I got with my ebiab system lasted longer than that even with a small tear in it.

There is no comparison price wise. Bags will always be cheaper. If anyone spends $150 on bags over their lifetime, they are doing something wrong.

Nah, you'd probably just tell me I'm doing it wrong and there's my problem. I'll just go back to lurking instead or contributing to this off topic discussion.

AGAIN, Sorry OP.

Nah, you'd probably just tell me I'm doing it wrong and there's my problem. I'll just go back to lurking instead or contributing to this off topic discussion.

AGAIN, Sorry OP.

Wow, guess we struck a nerve.

When you tell someone a $100+ basket is cheaper than a $30 bag, it is usually good to include reasons why you think that. And yeah maybe you are doing something wrong but why is that a problem? We all do things wrong but we let others help us learn instead of getting all defensive for no reason. But hey thanks for all the input

Have one, different source however, but looks the same.
NOT good!!! my handle is hooked in the other way and it falls off once you lift and something is in it. mesh is not properly welded and you gonna cut yourselves while cleaning.
long story short, I had to rework the thing to make it save (so no money saved in the end).
if anyone (in the gta) interested to buy, let me know since I want a customized one for my current kettle anyway

Full disclosure I have only just switched to all grain BIAB (one batch whahoo), but I like the idea of a stainless basket, yet I have the SS Brewtech BME kettle (12 gallon).Seems the thermowell would have to be blocked for BIA(Basket), also don't know what problems I would have by having the domed kettle bottom...although that deadspace would make it easier to recirc if I eventually wanted to.

The strainers look kind of flimsy from the pictures

Another thing to consider is the clearance at the bottom

Are they high enough to clear the heating element and will they interfere with your temp probe

The bag with a proper false bottom eliminates this issue.

The brew boss I have has a basket that’s made for the kettle, it’s high about $400, so I use a wilser bag which have never failed me

Should I go to the basket I’d buy one made for my system even though it’s more expensive

Wondering about the same AliExpress baskets. Any other insights? I'm definitely going with a basket, so bags are not in the equation.

The cost is too low compared to the US vendors to not at least give them a look. Just shows how much premium that ArborFab and UtahBioDiesel are charging for these things. $80 vs. $200

I'm not going to say the usual guys make a loss selling baskets, but the Chinese ones are really poorly welded.
kind of think like buying the materials and fix it later (labour, filler, gas, etc.) - hassle aside, the difference in price is not as much as it looks at first glance.
the other option is to try to find a local welder who makes one for less

Back