Brew Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shack01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it was another successful day at Shak's Brewery! :ban: (I HOPE!)

45 degrees on December 26th, here on the lake shore in Wisconsin, was too nice to waste! So I decided to make a tweaked Weissen.

IMG_20111226_103434.jpg

Of course, the day wasn't without its problems - who'd of thunk that less than a cup of wheat DME would make the boil turn into a geyser! :eek: Oh well, this was my 4th brew and I find I learn something new every time! The lesson today was in heat control!

Every batch I've made so far has had widely varying amounts of extract in them. The last one, Shak's Winter Warmer Ale, had 9lbs of Amber DME + other fermentables and, while it got away from me a couple times, it wasn't near as volatile as this wheat DME! I have a Blichmann burner and figuring out the valve settings has been a challenge! The first batch I brewed, I spent 2 hours trying to get the valve to work without freezing up - AFTER watching the video on the website! For some reason, that video doesn't translate well to the real world! :( So, today, I discovered that I can keep the boil going WITHOUT having the valve open so far...

Half the fun is the experimentation! :mug:

Boilovers are always a pain but a bit of practice and you will get a feel for how to handle it. Add slowly and stir and you will have a handle on it in no time. Once your dialled in you can measure your evaporation and your burner is calibrated to your brewery :)

Latest posts

Back