Brew Cooper without Beer enhancer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antonagb

Reaction score
Hi all!

I found an old jar of Cooper Brew A IPA at home and thought I could brew it before it expires!

I couldn't find a brew enhancer or any dry malt and wondered if it's possible to make a batch with "normal" sugars/honey/syrup that's possible to find at a grocery store?

If yes, how much should I use to get ~5% with the malt extract for 23 litres?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Anton, Can i share this thread with you? I have a similar question:

I've never brewed beer before. A friend last year, got a 1 gallon IPA kit and it was interesting. ( bitter!) I just bought a Muntons Irish style, stout kit, and would appreciate pointers.

Here, we do not have a beer supply store and the one wine supplies store, doesn't even have bottle caps, So, DME and LME are out of the question. Recipe calls for 2.5 lbs malt extract or sugar.. ( haven't received kit as yet. Patiently waiting for customs to shaft me.)

WRT baking, molasses can be used. We have molasses. 1) how good is the stock lit with sugar,
2) would the stout taste better if i brew it as 4 gallons instead of 6? Shouldi make any modifications other than adding less water?

Thaaanks!!

lol All these technical questions about hops, kegging and stuff and two novice questions about stock beer kits, the simplest method of making beer, can not get a response in over a week? I find that amusing. Were the questions stupid? Too simple? Boring AF? I've spent over 15 years in flashlight forums and the more experienced guys never answer noob questions because they've answered it before or just don't care anymore. Is that the case here? Just curious.

Hi all!

I found an old jar of Cooper Brew A IPA at home and thought I could brew it before it expires!

I couldn't find a brew enhancer or any dry malt and wondered if it's possible to make a batch with "normal" sugars/honey/syrup that's possible to find at a grocery store?

If yes, how much should I use to get ~5% with the malt extract for 23 litres?

Thanks!

I’ve been brewing Cooper’s beer for a while and to answer your question directly, the answer is yes you can use just regular sugar but you may want to try corn sugar instead which should also be readily available at your local grocery. There are many articles on the flavor and mouth feel of brewing with sugar or corn starch. The Brew Enhancer 1 & 2, are just a suggestion.

I’ve been brewing Cooper’s beer for a while and to answer your question directly, the answer is yes you can use just regular sugar but you may want to try corn sugar instead which should also be readily available at your local grocery. There are many articles on the flavor and mouth feel of brewing with sugar or corn starch. The Brew Enhancer 1 & 2, are just a suggestion.

Tack, herr Viking!

Any suggestions of how much corn sugar I should use for 23 litres?

Tack, herr Viking!

Any suggestions of how much corn sugar I should use for 23 litres?

Værsågod,

It really depends on the type style you are brewing and the directions on the can are a good start but can be adjusted. But you could do between 750g - 1.5Kg depending what target ABV you are looking for.

I just did the Cooper’s IPA myself. It was a really old can so this was an experiment. So far results are good.
“Cooper’s Brew Past it’s Date”

Back