Brew Controller Build - Wiring Diagram Verification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terodox

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I've been on a major brewing hiatus, but I'm finally getting back. I'm moving my rig indoors (woohoo!) and making it electrict (bigger woohoo).

I'm hoping to validate some decision before starting the purchasing/building phase.

Here's a quick link to my parts list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lj92kJ8X_xBP6FwYp6P-DoUqd9Hb7LqjSFC34KVvHe0/edit?usp=sharing

One thing to note is at the request of my wife I will need to have this thing key locked.

I also was hoping I could get a quick validation of my wiring diagram. Something feels fishy about the location of the key switch.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Brew Controller - New Page.png

Hey Guys!

I've been on a major brewing hiatus, but I'm finally getting back. I'm moving my rig indoors (woohoo!) and making it electrict (bigger woohoo).

I'm hoping to validate some decision before starting the purchasing/building phase.

Here's a quick link to my parts list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lj92kJ8X_xBP6FwYp6P-DoUqd9Hb7LqjSFC34KVvHe0/edit?usp=sharing

One thing to note is at the request of my wife I will need to have this thing key locked.

I also was hoping I could get a quick validation of my wiring diagram. Something feels fishy about the location of the key switch.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Looks ok to me. Why do you doubt the location of the key switch?

Brew on :mug:

Taking your schematic at (more or less) face value.

I suggest the following change. Use a key lock and a conventional on/off switch in series. You have to put both the key and the on/off switch in the on position to turn on the system. This way you get the benefit of the key lock. You have the convenience and intuitive use of a good old fashioned on/off switch. Sometime you want to shut down quick and easy, this is what the on off switch is for.

If an oh carp moment hits, you do not want to be futzing around with a key and lock situation. On/off switches are too cheap to not use one.

If it were my system, this is what I would do.

Eta
Make sure your key switch is rated to handle the coil voltage coil current.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I will definitely add some type of secondary switch.

I honestly couldn't tell you why I was doubting the location of that key switch. Just looked funny, and I'm by no means a master of electronics.

Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back