Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a weird black yeast ring in my Brew Bucket the first use as well. Hasn't happened since, which makes me think the SS just wasn't sufficiently passivated,even thought used BKF and StarSan. Didn't hurt the beer though.

And the EvaDry is a waste of money -- does nothing in my keezer. Spend $10 on some silica gel kitty litter (same stuff) at Petsmart/ Petco, toss it into an old tube sock, and you've got 10x the dehumidifying power. Works great.

That's a great idea!

One complaint I have about this item is that the rubber feet don't last very long. I found this item at amazon and it seems to do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8UN6XI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61smD9bEGxL._SL1500_.jpg

They are pretty tight though. This size might be better, but it also may require a bit of silicone adhesive to get them to stay on.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rubber-Furniture-Covers-Protectors/dp/B00GYU79YA/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1412213258&sr=1-4&keywords=Square+25x25mm+Furniture+Table+Desk+Foot+Leg

Pretty cheap. They are more like plastic than rubber

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody come up with a better solution to seal the valve, i.e. thicker o-rings, flat o-rings? I like my Brew Bucket, but getting it to seal is a PITA. Too loose and it leaks, too tight and it leaks. I have to leak test it every time before I use it to be sure it doesn't leak. The last batch, while I was draining my beer into the keg, I moved it a quarter turn to get the arm farther down and it started leaking. Beer all over my table and down on to the floor.

Has anybody come up with a better solution to seal the valve, i.e. thicker o-rings, flat o-rings? I like my Brew Bucket, but getting it to seal is a PITA. Too loose and it leaks, too tight and it leaks. I have to leak test it every time before I use it to be sure it doesn't leak. The last batch, while I was draining my beer into the keg, I moved it a quarter turn to get the arm farther down and it started leaking. Beer all over my table and down on to the floor.

I've put about 4 batches through mine and haven't had a single leak yet. Have you tried contacting them to replace it?

Just wondering, is the common practice with the Brew Bucket to cold crash versus trying to pull off some of the sediment between primary and secondary fermentation phases? I don't want to harvest the yeast, but I do want to minimize my beer's contact with the sediment patch. Thinking that if I started with the racking arm down, and after about a week, pulled off some sediment until I saw relatively clear beer, and then flipped it up when I wanted to keg, would this even be possible? Or would the arm / spigot tend to clog? My usual practice is to rack from a primary glass carboy to a secondary after about a week, and I'm really excited about the prospect of minimizing my effort.

Don't over tighten it and make sure you always turn it CLOCKWISE to adjust the arm. I had the same problem until I could remember to never turn it the wrong way. Another tip is to point the arm down during fermentation and only turn it up after the yeast have settled out or cold crashing, I get a lot less clogging that way.

Just wondering, is the common practice with the Brew Bucket to cold crash versus trying to pull off some of the sediment between primary and secondary fermentation phases? I don't want to harvest the yeast, but I do want to minimize my beer's contact with the sediment patch. Thinking that if I started with the racking arm down, and after about a week, pulled off some sediment until I saw relatively clear beer, and then flipped it up when I wanted to keg, would this even be possible? Or would the arm / spigot tend to clog? My usual practice is to rack from a primary glass carboy to a secondary after about a week, and I'm really excited about the prospect of minimizing my effort.

You really cant use the arm to remove yeast other than a small layer of loose stuff at the top of the cake, it's just too thick to come out the small diameter arm.

Genius! I'd take two sets $16 + shipping?

Here is what my legs look like, they are hell on the floor and counter top, I've been using a thick towel under them.

legs.JPG

I just got some new printer filament in today. Color choice of Black, gray, white? Let me know and I can print you some sets out this week if you still want.

I did this mod using the racking arm on my speidel fermenter. The thicker orings absolutely help with your issue.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel-fermentors-now-stainless-rotating-racking-arm-449546/

Does anyone know if a #2 bung would fit the lid? Can't readily get a SS Brew Tech replacement bung.

if those legs were 6" tall, now one can configure a dump valve attachment to these

I had the same leaking issue when I attempted to fill my bucket the first time. After several tests which I thought were successful, I added the wort only to find the leak was back. I ended up switching the wort to a plastic bucket.

My latest batch seemed to be going the same way - I was really struggling to get it not to leak. I had ordered extra O-rings and switched out the two on the valve. That seemed to do the trick and it's not leaking now. Still I have a feeling when I turn the valve a quarter at kegging time it will begin a small leak. At that point at least I'll be just about done.

I had the same leaking issue when I attempted to fill my bucket the first time. After several tests which I thought were successful, I added the wort only to find the leak was back. I ended up switching the wort to a plastic bucket.

My latest batch seemed to be going the same way - I was really struggling to get it not to leak. I had ordered extra O-rings and switched out the two on the valve. That seemed to do the trick and it's not leaking now. Still I have a feeling when I turn the valve a quarter at kegging time it will begin a small leak. At that point at least I'll be just about done.

I bought some thicker O-rings and it seemed to seal better (and easier) when I tested it. haven't had a chance yet to ferment a batch in it.

WooHoo! so i'm in the club. For christmass my super duper awesome wife bought me a SS Brew Bucket! :tank:
10922833_10204815070088543_2775769559382647888_n.jpg

got it on christmass and did a brew last weekend. I'm a mr beer convert .. and while i've made 2 other 5 gallon batches i was splitting it between mr beer fermenters. so this is my first 5 gallon batch that will ferment all together.

will miss seeing wort churn and bubbles and all that, but the beer should taste better :)

So i pitched at 61F from a starter that was 65F and moved it into that closet which has been sitting at mostly 66F. the wort slowly raised to about 64F before i saw any air lock bubbles (12 hours later?) and the temp raised up to now 68F . I'm very excited! :) waaaay too excited.

i did infact move a chair over so i could sit and stare at my air lock bubbling away.

I've done maybe 2 dozen brews (all extract mr beer style) with the mr beer football fermenter up in a closet, so i'm used to being able to see the krausen form, Co2 bubbles rise, and the actual wort churn during a really active fermentation .. so the Solid cant' see a thing Bucket in some ways is more nerve racking ... but i still love it.. lol ... soo shiney :)

and i skipped over carboys , ale pails, and ever using a racking cane. I felt like i stayed with the mr beer stuff for way too long but i was too cheap to buy myself anything... luckily my wife is awesome.

and i'm gifting 2 of my mr beer fermetners to co-workers who want to try out home brewing.

87 pages and I'm still on the fence. Saw a nice offer for this on Birdman brewing's facebook page yesterday. Tempted...

Can somebody sell me over my better bottle? Is this just a novelty?

87 pages and I'm still on the fence. Saw a nice offer for this on Birdman brewing's facebook page yesterday. Tempted...

*Stainless instead of Plastic
*Easier to clean
*No siphoning
*Easy to get a sample from valve for gravity or sampling
*Easy to harvest yeast

*It is shiny:)

I have nothing against better bottles...... I think it really comes down to the things that are preferences for people. The first 5 above are the particular things I like about the SS bucket over something like a better bottle or carboy. If I wasn't using the SS Bucket, I would be using a bottling bucket - because it also accomplishes all of the above except for the part about being made of stainless steel (and being shiny).

Better bottle is only 6g these are 7g.

I put 6.5g of wort into them for my big IPAs after adding large additions of dry hops (4-6oz) I can leave 1.5g of yeast/trub/hops in fermenter, and end up with a totally full keg of deliciously hoppy beer!

Like I posted on 8/25/14, the stock o-rings are garbage, and #114 EPDM o-rings solve the problems with tearing and leaking. Here's the post:
Stock gasket is 5/8" ID x 1/16" thickness (I.e. 3/4" OD). I chose foodsafe EPDM, which apparently has better resistance to strong acids (like Starsan), and thicker (3/32") so they wont get so cut up. About $6 + $6 shipping for 25:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9561k28/=tflv5y

After a number of batches, I can confirm these work GREAT! Amazon is apparently cheaper.

+ *You can add boiling wort to the bucket directly and chill in it - either with an I/C or by sticking it in a fridge - the better bottle would melt.

I would love to see video of a better bottle melting!!! There must be a link here somewhere....

I would love to see video of a better bottle melting!!! There must be a link here somewhere....

It doesn't melt. There's some pics around here somewhere, but essentially it just gets really deformed / out of shape, and is pretty much unfixable, not to mention who knows what gets leeched into the wort at that temp.

What did you use to drill the hole in the lid? Would a generic drill bit suffice or should I spring for an expensive titanium/carbide bit?

That's the same one I have. I drilled the lid because I didn't want to mess up the fermentor and the thing is long enough to reach right down to the center of the wort. The quality of that thermowell is top notch

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So, since my original attempt, I received one of these as a gift. Frustratingly, it has a small, deep scratch on the back. Apparently they're just cheaply made. Anyway, I am really happy with it. The lid seals rather well, though my tripel was a bit too much and some leakage occurred, despite the blowoff tube. I really liked not having to use an auto siphon, the dip tube emptied the beer to just above the trub, and cleanup was pretty easy. I wouldn't mind having a second one on hand.

Thanks Alex. I just picked one of these up and should receive it next week sometime. I was on the fence about it also but with the $25 off that seemed like a good deal. I'll try one and see how I like it. I'm sure I won't have any complaints and end up picking up a second one.

- Destin

Thanks for the heads up. I've been thinking about a second one. After I saw this I pulled the trigger.

The thing I like about this fermenter is that it has more capacity than a better bottle and I love the bottom drain. No more dealing with a racking cane.

Mine arrived today and I'm pretty impressed with it. I believe it has the newer style pick up tube. I was expected the legs to be just metal on the bottom but they have nice rubber plugs so it won't scratch up the counter. I'll clean it up and use it for the brew day coming up in about 10 days.

Back