Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my notice of shipment as well from TEMECULA, CA. Hopefully it's here by Friday so I can brew over the weekend. I was part of the 5 minute frenzy.

Good to hear the "5 minute" buyers are seeing some shipment notifications. I was in that group, but haven't heard anything just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good to hear the "5 minute" buyers are seeing some shipment notifications. I was in that group, but haven't heard anything just yet.

I expected an email directly from Ss Brewing Technologies but later noticed an email from Fedex that turned out to be the shipment notification for the Brewbucket.

Mine will be here tomorrow :) Shipped yesterday and I'm a few hundered miles from their shipping location.

Got my thermowell ready to silver solder into the lid when they arrive. I bought two of these (got two buckets coming) and smashed one end and silver soldered the gap. I love silver solder! http://www.ebay.com/itm/110798253139

I got notice that mine shipped, too. Supposed to be here Thursday. I plan on using it on the 28th. I 'm going to add a thermowell to mine, but I'm just going to try using a grommet to seal it.

Finally got my bucket in today.. can't wait to put it to use this weekend. I'll be installing a thermowell around the 3 gallon mark.

23mkmld.jpg

Looks very nice!

I had been hoping to use my new bucket this weekend, but I haven't gotten a shipping notification yet. And I doubt that it will make it to Ohio by the weekend at this point, unless they're using crazy-fast FedEx. Given it was free shipping, I'm sure that it's not.

It's okay. I know I was at the tail end of the 5-minute window. I'm lucky to have snagged one at all, so I can't complain if I'm at the end if the shipping queue. Still excited to make my next batch in one of these.

Hey jammin. Very jealous of that new toy you got there. Also very curious how you are planning on doing the thermowell? Weld less thru the side? Any reason why not down from the top? (I don't know, just wondering) Looks like I have to wait till the end of March to even place my order so I got some time to plan and learn from others here. I appreciate any insight you might have to share. Cheers!

Finally got my bucket in today.. can't wait to put it to use this weekend. I'll be installing a thermowell around the 3 gallon mark.

This might be a bit :off: but it looks like some people here know what they're doing. I bought a 4" thermowell and a 2" dial-style thermometer from AIH. I tried using keg lube as thermal paste but it doesn't work. I wanted to primarily use the probe that comes with the STC-1000 which also would require a lot of thermal paste. How do you guys ensure conductivity from the thermowell to the probe? I might be tempted to install a female NPT 1/2" thread into the brew bucket so I can use the thermowell and finally stop dangling the probe into my beer :cross:

Those look VERY nice, just out of curiosity would any of you think its worthit shelling out the extra $100 for the full conical?

Those look VERY nice, just out of curiosity would any of you think its worthit shelling out the extra $100 for the full conical?

If you want to harvest yeast and dump trub during fermentation get the conical ...I've got both ...that is the only advantage I see the conical has over the bucket ...conical does that a thermwell and looks even cooler :)

Got mine yesterday. They definitely were rushed getting them out. As others have said, there are some sharp burs on the holes. Also mine has polishing compound residual on corners/edges. Most annoyingly there is some on the inside of the lid!

Make sure to give them a good scrubbing before use. And for those wondering, the tube on top is my thermowell that will be installed in the lid.

IMG_20140219_214430.jpg

IMG_20140219_213716.jpg

No offense, but a good cleaning inside and out is kind of a given. I would never use anything I've purchased like this without doing that .

No offense, but a good cleaning inside and out is kind of a given. I would never use anything I've purchased like this without doing that .

Not to mention there is a very helpful set of instructions for cleaning/maintenance included.

Call me picky then, but for the price that these cost I do expect a clean polished product. I would still clean it even if there was no polishing compound left, but I don't feel like I should have to spend an hour filing rough edges and polishing their compound off.

If you bought a new car, would you expect to polish buffing compound off the paint? Or vacuum debris inside left from assembling the car?

This isn't a flame so let's not go there. I know I will love this thing!

And for those wondering, the tube on top is my thermowell that will be installed in the lid.

How do you plan on installing your thermowell? I've got one and I'm trying to figure out how I'll do it.

I see 2 options -- expand the existing hole and install a thermowell+stopper combo, or drill a new hole that's dedicated to the thermowell.

How do you plan on installing your thermowell? I've got one and I'm trying to figure out how I'll do it.

I see 2 options -- expand the existing hole and install a thermowell+stopper combo, or drill a new hole that's dedicated to the thermowell.
Edited to add:
Just reread your post and realize your already going the lid route. Not sure which option I'd choose.

If it were my bucket I would go the lid route unless you can weld sanitary fittings on. Weldless fittings can and do leak and it's also another place for bacteria to hide. JMO

I'm going to drill a new hole in the lid just smaller than the tube. I have a socket that is just the right size that has a shoulder on it so I can create a dimpled hole for the tube. Essentially it will look similar to how people silver solder couplers in their kettles. Make the hole slightly smaller then the dimpling tool and then pull dimpler through until it makes a snug fit for the thermowell, and then silver solder.

I'm going to drill a new hole in the lid just smaller than the tube. I have a socket that is just the right size that has a shoulder on it so I can create a dimpled hole for the tube. Essentially it will look similar to how people silver solder couplers in their kettles. Make the hole slightly smaller then the dimpling tool and then pull dimpler through until it makes a snug fit for the thermowell, and then silver solder.

I think I kinda lost you there on what you're trying to do. I think I'm going to drill a new hole the size of a smaller stopper (using a standard bit for a pilot hole, then my carbide step-bit), and then drill a hole in the stopper, and mount the thermowell through. That way I can easily remove the thermowell.

This hole would be separate from the existing hole.

I think I kinda lost you there on what you're trying to do. I think I'm going to drill a new hole the size of a smaller stopper (using a standard bit for a pilot hole, then my carbide step-bit), and then drill a hole in the stopper, and mount the thermowell through. That way I can easily remove the thermowell.

This hole would be separate from the existing hole.

Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/4-87-keg-tool-402677/

I'll be making a much smaller dimple for my thermowell. Hope it works as its planned in my head :)

What size is your socket you're using? I used sockets for a coupling dimple but no way I have one small enough for a thermowell unless yours is way bigger OD than mine

How are people controlling the temp with this thing? Seems pretty huge for a freezer

Okay, let me re-phrase this. Has anyone used these in a mini-fridge that is currently available in a retail store?

I'd be willing to bet money one could walk into a home depot, Sears, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, best buy.... basically any place that sells mini fridges and buy one that will work. This bucket is not much bigger then a better bottle and I can fit a better bottle in my Danby mini fridge no problem. I guess I don't understand what the big deal is ...

I'd be willing to bet money one could walk into a home depot, Sears, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, best buy.... basically any place that sells mini fridges and buy one that will work. This bucket is not much bigger then a better bottle and I can fit a better bottle in my Danby mini fridge no problem. I guess I don't understand what the big deal is ...

I'm sorry that asking the members of this forum for their experiences got your panties in a wad.

Back