Brett when to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello HBT.
In typical eagerness (stupidity) I cultured the dregs from two bottles of a solo brett double IPA using the soda bottle and DME stepped starter method and pitched the resulting fermentation into 25L of kettle sour which had mostly finished fermentation with a mixture of S04 and nottingham.

I've had steady activity since doing so, so it is clearly chewing through something, but in my naivety I've no idea of when it is safe to bottle? I've never used brett before. You hear stories (it'll metabolise cellulose! It'll ferment phenols!) and I've no idea how much of that produces co2 and I want to avoid the ol' you'll shoot your eye out kid.

It will probably take the brett some time to chew trough the remaining sugars. Take a gravity reading every week or so.

I have done many brett only fermentations. A normal gravity beer (~1.050) goes quickly down to around 1.008 - 1.010 and then very slowly over a few months down to 1.002 - 1.004. So you will get gushers if you bottle to early and add priming sugar.

Back