Brett Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvault98

Reaction score
I am pretty new to Brett beers and have only made a 100% primary brett beer before. I now have a saison that I pitched the brett in secondary and wondering if anything is happening since there is no pellicile after a month. I pitched a brett c slurry that I harvested from the 100% beer (made a small starter) into my saison about 5 days into primary once the gravity reached 1.008 and it has been bubbling every so slowly since then, however no pellicile. Does a pellicile always form...also it has only been a month so I know it can be slow to get going but thought I would get some insight from those with more experience.

Also, when I say secondary I am just referring to not primary....same fermenter with spent primary yeast.

Thanks!

don't worry about the pellicle. they only form in the presence of oxygen and sometimes not at all and most importantly, they are are not the only indicator that brett's doing its thing. wait three months after pitching the brett and taste/check gravity; that's usually when the brett flavor profile starts to assert itself. check again after a few weeks to make sure the gravity's stable and bottle/keg as normal.

Quick update, about 6 or 7 weeks in now (don't have my notes in front of me, but close enough) and I was working on an RIS that I plan to put on some oak for a bit and decided to pull my carboy out that has the Saison in it. Sure enough there was a nice think pellicle sitting on the surface and a couple unmistakable bubbles that look just like a brett "infection". All is good in beer land :ban:

Awesome! I previously pitched brett in secondary with my Saison Brett projects. I now pitch at the same time as the Sacc but when I did pitch into secondary it would take a while if they pellicle ever formed. Totally agree with the 3 months before tasting as well. Mine went a total of 5 months just because I had other projects going. That beer is still drinking great over a year old. Sad I only have a few bottles left.

Back