Brett secondary gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zactastic

Reaction score
A white later started to develop at week 3, im now 4-5 weeks in to my Brett + IPA at about 75-78 degrees.

Has this batch gone bad?

Here is my original post: click here

summary: took a finished 1 gallon IPA and added some Brett Claussenii to it with a boil cup of water that had 1 oz DME and a few blueberries you will see in the fermenter below.

*note: blueberries are in the fermentor floating on top.

second day, looked good, bot no bubbles in the airlock ever really produced.
Untitled by zactastic, on Flickr

week 1-2
Untitled by zactastic, on Flickr

start of week 3, white formation on top.
Wow by zactastic, on Flickr

Week 4-5 you can see in the next 2 photos, the white layer.
Jjj by zactastic, on Flickr

photo near the back side.
Jjj by zactastic, on Flickr

please let me know what you think, i was going to let the process carry out till 3rd month before sampling and then bottling.

The pellicle (white layer) is normal for Brett when there's too much oxygen (it's to protect the beer/Brett from Oxygen dependent spoilage organisms). So, the pellicle doesn't mean your beers bad, but does suggest you need to think about reducing Oxygen exposure. Minimise headspace in secondary as much as possible and avoid splashing during transfers.

thanks for the reasurrance and tips
@Gnomebrewer so option 1. stay the course or
Option 2. reduce the “head space” above the Pellicle?

1. I feel like I should leave it at this point and not open the airlock to bring in more oxygen.

ill let you know how it turns out.

Back