Brett Cake Removal and Reuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully this will be a simple question for people much smarter than myself. I did a 100% brett L. beer a few days ago, which is chugging along just fine, and my question is related to taking the beer off the primary cake after a couple months:

I'd like to get another batch of something different going next, and I plan on one of the pitches (after primary fermentation) for that to be the same brett L. i used for this 100% brett L. batch (WY5526). If I pull this 100% batch (~1.080 OG) off of its cake to harvest it, say, 2 months into fermentation, will I be doing any noticeable harm, assuming it's close to expected FG? I've read that 100% brett ferments (at least with lambicus) could take a few months to come into their own, but I'd really like to use this slurry instead of purchasing another pack (which may or may not be available).

If it's 100% brett, treat it like you would a normal fermentation with a saccharomyces beer yeast. From my understanding, and limited experience, 100% brett fermentation doesn't take months to drop to a final gravity in the same way it does when brett is added with another yeast. Your fermentation should move along at a fairly quick rate and not take months.

Of course the size of your yeast pitch is a factor in how quickly fermentation is complete (as well as fermentation temp, etc). Plus at 1.080 OG it might take a bit longer than something with a lower OG, but I think we are talking weeks, not months. I would say you're okay to rack off the yeast cake in 3 or 4 weeks although your hydrometer should be your guide. The only issue I see with reusing the yeast cake is that this first beer will have a pretty high ABV which can stress yeast - at least a normal beer yeast. Maybe someone else knows if brett will experience less stress at higher ABVs than a typical beer yeast.

Last edited:
The only issue I see with reusing the yeast cake is that this first beer will have a pretty high ABV which can stress yeast - at least a normal beer yeast. Maybe someone else knows if brett will experience less stress at higher ABVs than a typical beer yeast.

Yes, Brettanomyces is less stressed from ethanol than brewer's yeast. That said, I haven't heard a lot about re-pitching slurries of 100% Brettanomyces beers. I suspect it would be fine. One thing to keep in mind is that some Brett cultures (particularly from White Labs) are contaminated with brewers yeast or sometimes other yeasts/bacteria, so those can have an impact on flavor, both during the original batch, and subsequent batches.

One thing to keep in mind is that some Brett cultures (particularly from White Labs) are contaminated with brewers yeast or sometimes other yeasts/bacteria..

Yup, that's why I explicitly chose the WY strain and not the WLP one.

General update: I just took the first grav measurement and taste of this last night. After 15 days at 70-74°F, it's down to 1.015 (i think ~80% aa). I have read that some 100% brett beers are indiscernible from sacc beers, but this one isn't the case. Just the right amount of funk/tartness, likely due to the higher ferment temp. I didn't the cherry pie explosion, but it definitely was along the lines of the flavor profile of the WY Roeselare blend I use. Overall, I'm pretty stoked about how this is turning out. I was initially planning on making this a funky white stout by adding a cacao tincture and cold brewed coffee, but I'm very 50/50 on that concept still.

Back