Breakfast ruminations... Buttered toast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was eating some buttered toast this morning and had a thought.

Many people go after bready, toasty, bread crust flavors in their beers, me included. But dry toast sucks.

It's the butter that really makes those grain flavors and maillard products pop and makes them satisfying.

Now I'm not bonkers (promise), but has anyone tried making a doppelbock, or weizenbock, or brown ale with fat washed butter in it? Or would it just taste like diaceyl?

Does anyone know of a way to enhance flavor in the same way butter does without adding fat?

So I was eating some buttered toast this morning and had a thought.

Many people go after bready, toasty, bread crust flavors in their beers, me included. But dry toast sucks.

It's the butter that really makes those grain flavors and maillard products pop and makes them satisfying.

Now I'm not bonkers (promise), but has anyone tried making a doppelbock, or weizenbock, or brown ale with fat washed butter in it? Or would it just taste like diaceyl?

Does anyone know of a way to enhance flavor in the same way butter does without adding fat?
I like your thinking. But I don't know that its the butter or the toast. Rather the combination of the two and their results from toasting that makes it magical.

I would also like to point out that I am an enjoyer of dry toast, or at least unbuttered. Not many of us exist, but we are out here. There's more to this story, but maybe for a different thread.

I like your thinking. But I don't know that its the butter or the toast. Rather the combination of the two and their results from toasting that makes it magical.

I would also like to point out that I am an enjoyer of dry toast, or at least unbuttered. Not many of us exist, but we are out here. There's more to this story, but maybe for a different thread.

Well in culinary terms, fat is definitely used as a flavor enhancer.. And it also makes the bread taste more flavorful in a way that the combination of flavors alone doesn't (if that makes sense)

Also.. That's very weird..just FYI

Also.. That's very weird..just FYI
I realized a long time ago that I do a lot of things that others perceive as "weird ****" that doesn't make sense to others. I quit worrying about it back then. Just remember, normal is a relative term, if stupid people are the average, "relative" is by default "stupid." - not referring to buttered toast, just generalizations.

And side-bar, I like cooking/baking with butter but not butter as a condiment. No bread&butter, buttered popcorn or dipping crab or lobster in it.

And side-bar, I like cooking/baking with butter but not butter as a condiment. No bread&butter, buttered popcorn or dipping crab or lobster in it.

What do you put on your popcorn then?!

Also just told my wife "this guy on HBT doesn't like butter on his toast or popcorn"

And with zero hesitation she said "he's a serial killer... That's not right" [emoji23]

That’s sort of the reverse of fat washing, if I understand correctly. I’ve made butter washed bourbon before, and it’s awesome. But, the butter solids are not used; they are separated from the spirit which picks up flavor from the fat. So fat washed butter isn’t really a thing, it’s what does the ‘washing’. You could try fat washing beer, but I wouldn’t see that working out.

That’s sort of the reverse of fat washing, if I understand correctly. I’ve made butter washed bourbon before, and it’s awesome. But, the butter solids are not used; they are separated from the spirit which picks up flavor from the fat. So fat washed butter isn’t really a thing, it’s what does the ‘washing’. You could try fat washing beer, but I wouldn’t see that working out.

Fat washing is the process of removing the fat from a food and keeping the flavor. Fat washed butter is definitely a thing as is fat washed bacon grease and fat washed peanut butter

Fat washing is the process of removing the fat from a food and keeping the flavor. Fat washed butter is definitely a thing as is fat washed bacon grease and fat washed peanut butter
Yes, fats like butter, various oils, bacon, etc., are used to ‘fat wash’ alcohols. The flavors are extracted from the fat and infused into the spirit. Emulsify, chill, skim/strain and voila flavors are left in the spirit. It’s not removing the fat from a food, it’s removing the flavors (soluble in alcohol) from a fat into a spirit. Probably, we are agreeing more than disagreeing and this is probably all semantics and I don’t claim to be an expert in molecular gastronomy. Is it worth trying mixing beer with butter, chilling, and removing the solids? Maybe, someone better try.

Yes, fats like butter, various oils, bacon, etc., are used to ‘fat wash’ alcohols. The flavors are extracted from the fat and infused into the spirit. Emulsify, chill, skim/strain and voila flavors are left in the spirit. It’s not removing the fat from a food, it’s removing the flavors (soluble in alcohol) from a fat into a spirit. Probably, we are agreeing more than disagreeing and this is probably all semantics and I don’t claim to be an expert in molecular gastronomy. Is it worth trying mixing beer with butter, chilling, and removing the solids? Maybe, someone better try.

Yep I think we're agreeing that it's seperating fat from flavor haha

I would fat wash the butter first and pour the alcohol/flavor in rather than trying to fat wash beer though

Yep I think we're agreeing that it's seperating fat from flavor haha

I would fat wash the butter first and pour the alcohol/flavor in rather than trying to fat wash beer though
Yeah, fat washing with beer doesn’t sound like the best idea. Think vodka would be the most neutral?

Back