Brass faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshehansen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to kegging, and am currently assembling all the necessary parts. I'm also building a keezer, and for aesthetic reasons am planning on using tarnish-free brass faucets (by Perlick). These would be the only brass parts in the setup. Is there a significant risk of off flavors with these faucets?

It's not a problem, most shanks are brass as well. Most bars have brass shanks or faucets. From the small amount of time it's in contact with the brass I highly doubt any flavor can be detected.

my quality control training may require me to buy all stainless just to keep my inner QC worrier from bitching at me, but there is overwhelming evidence that brass taps are sufficient if properly maintained

FWIW most shanks/cheaper faucets are actually chrome-plated brass, and occasionally you hear about the chrome chipping away and exposing brass. Some people think this leads to off-flavors. I don't think it's that big of a deal, many of us use brass in our coolers MLTs and it's fine. Are you talking about the Perl faucet? 525SSTF? I think those are actually stainless coated with the tarnish free brass, or something like that. I doubt much of it touches the beverage, and those things look badass anyway.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the advice. I'm using a black chest freezer with a deep reddish-brown stained collar, and was hoping to use exposed brass bolts and (now) faucets.

Back