Best Bitter Bramling Cross British Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeo38

Reaction score
I made a batch of this recently and it took home silver in the Best Bitter category (11B) at the 2018 Best Florida Beer competition with a score of 39. I wanted to share it with all of you since I really love this beer!

Credit due to its original creator, Mike Todd of the Stoney Creek Homebrewers https://beerandbrewing.com/blackberry-bitter-english-pale-ale-recipe/

I had modified it slightly by using San Diego Super Yeast, which was the only specific knock by one of the judges (the 38/50 rater, not the 40/50) who felt it could use more esters. Perhaps it is best to leave the recipe the way it’s listed below and use the London Ale III yeast. Here’s the recipe taken directly from the above link, in case you don’t want to click it:

ALL-GRAIN

Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
Brewhouse efficiency: 72%
OG: 1.044
FG: 1.011
IBUs: 33
ABV: 4.4%

MALT/GRAIN BILL
8 lb (3.6 kg) Maris Otter
8 oz (227 g) British Crystal 45L
8 oz (227 g) Victory Malt

HOPS SCHEDULE
1oz (28 g) Bramling Cross [6% AA] at 60 minutes
1oz (28 g) Bramling Cross [6% AA] at 10 minutes
1oz (28 g) Bramling Cross [6% AA] at 2 minutes

YEAST
Wyeast 1318 (London Ale III) Yeast

DIRECTIONS
Mill the grains and mix with 2.5 gallons (10.6 l) of 163°F (73°C) strike water to reach a mash temperature of 152°F (67°C). Hold this temperature for 60 minutes. Vorlauf until your runnings are clear, then run off into the kettle. Sparge the grains with 4.4 gallons (16.8 l) and top up as necessary to obtain 6 gallons (23 l) of wort. Boil for 60 minutes, following the hops schedule.

After the boil, chill the wort to slightly below fermentation temperature, about 63°F (17°C). Aerate the wort with pure oxygen or filtered air and pitch the yeast.

Last edited:
Back