braided hoses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmidc

Reaction score
I'm putting together a new brew system (similiar to the countertop brutus 10)and I have a march pump arriving on Thursday. :rockin: I have bought some 1/2" ID braided pvc hose to use to move water/wort around. I plan on doing a RIMS system and will be transferring strike and sparge water with it too. Seems this won't be a problem because it's rated to 175d. What I'm concerned about is that I'm going to do a recirculation while I'm using my IC. I'm thinking it's only going to see the hot wort for a couple minutes to sanitize then the first few minutes when the chill starts. Is this going to be enough time to leech tastes into my beer? I see some guys on here use the braided hose on their rigs, how does it work for you? I'll eventually spring for some silicon but I can't get it at my LHBS and don't want to pay 6-7 bucks just for shipping on hose from an online store. I'd rather wait a while until I have more to buy.

I'm putting together a new brew system (similiar to the countertop brutus 10)and I have a march pump arriving on Thursday. :rockin: I have bought some 1/2" ID braided pvc hose to use to move water/wort around. I plan on doing a RIMS system and will be transferring strike and sparge water with it too. Seems this won't be a problem because it's rated to 175d. What I'm concerned about is that I'm going to do a recirculation while I'm using my IC. I'm thinking it's only going to see the hot wort for a couple minutes to sanitize then the first few minutes when the chill starts. Is this going to be enough time to leech tastes into my beer? I see some guys on here use the braided hose on their rigs, how does it work for you? I'll eventually spring for some silicon but I can't get it at my LHBS and don't want to pay 6-7 bucks just for shipping on hose from an online store. I'd rather wait a while until I have more to buy.

I've been using the braided PVC hoses for years throughout my system with no problems whatsoever. I'm running a direct fired RIMS FWIW.

Yeah, it'll be fine, but it'll wear out pretty quickly. When it does, definitely spring for the silicon. It's really nice!

Yeah, it'll be fine, but it'll wear out pretty quickly. When it does, definitely spring for the silicon. It's really nice!

Wear out? Mine are not showing any sign of wear that I can see. What happens to the PVC hoses? Do they become brittle or what? The hose is cheap enough that it wouldn't be big deal if I had to replace it and I only use about 10 feet or so total. I use 5/8" ID hose and the same size in silicone is too pricey for my meager budget.

I just don't like how soft the PVC gets. It usually makes the rubber ooze through the slits in the hose clamps and gets loose. I recall having to cut a half inch off the ends every 3rd brew or so. Buying the silicone is a one time investment and it's not that bad considering all the other crap we buy. It's like the tab for one night at a beer bar.

5/8" you say? How about a dollar a foot?
http://cgi.ebay.com/50-FT-SILASTIC-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item483898dac0

I'd ask Catt to send you a photo of himself - rumor has it that he has grown horns from PVC chemicals. LOL

I like Silicone - I spent $50 for 25 feet which I expect to last a long time. Easy clean up, stays flexible, can be boiled, baked, won't melt if it gets close to a flame.

Thanks guys for the responses. I think I'll use the stuff I have for now and when it wears out I'll look into getting some silicon hose. :mug:

I noticed my local Home Depot has silicon hose right next to the PVC and braided hose. It is more expensive, but they do stock it.

I just don't like how soft the PVC gets. It usually makes the rubber ooze through the slits in the hose clamps and gets loose. I recall having to cut a half inch off the ends every 3rd brew or so. Buying the silicone is a one time investment and it's not that bad considering all the other crap we buy. It's like the tab for one night at a beer bar.

5/8" you say? How about a dollar a foot?
http://cgi.ebay.com/50-FT-SILASTIC-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item483898dac0

I haven't had that problem with the braided PVC and the same hose has been in service for a long time. A dollar a foot isn't bad at all for the silicone, but I think I'll stick with the PVC. I like the heavier wall thickness and reinforcement with the stuff I use. Less prone to collapsing on the suction side and also less prone to ballooning on the pressure side.

The 1/8" wall silicone 1/2" ID tube you see at AHS, BMW, bargainfittings, etc. is primo stuff. What they sell at home depot is thin walled beige stuff. I don't know of anyone who has been disappointed with the thick walled silicone. It also cleans up really easy. I just rinse with hot water.

Back