Braggot - time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
I am making a braggot from a mead I began in Oct and a beer I brewed a few weeks ago. The mead and the beer are now quietly blending together. I tasted a sample the other day and I think it was very drinkable although I might still add some additional hops to the brew, Citra perhaps. Do people bottle braggot as if it were a beer or as if it is a mead? In other words, do you bottle and drink this fairly soon after it has cleared or do you let this age for months, if not years? Thanks.

I had a student make a braggot. He bottled it after two months. It was incredible after a month in the bottle. I'm saving the other bottle for a little while longer (it's at eight months, now).

I don't know the actual recipe that he used, but here's what I do know:

Batch size - 7.5 gallons
Base grains - similar to a DIPA, 23 lbs. of grain
Spices - ginger, coriander, black pepper
Honey - 4 lbs.
Hops - Amarillo
Yeast - S-04, two packages
OG 1105, FG ~1022.

I prefer my Braggots to have carbonation, so for me it's normally 1 month in primary, then to bottles. They improve drastically within the first 6 months, so the longer you can wait the better. Since there's honey in them, it takes a while for the honey aroma/flavor to come back. Bottle it, test it every month & report back!

Back