braggot/mead yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
Hey all, had a question about mead yeasts concerning braggots.

I know ale yeasts are able to devour maltotriose unlike wine yeasts , but what about Mead yeasts? Are they just specialized wine yeasts and therefore not as suitable for a braggot as a high gravity tolerant ale yeast?

I would think an ale yeast would be more appropriate. I'm having great success using WLP 545 in my 2 braggots. One went from 1.144(IIRC) down to 1.002. My second one is 1.121 down to 1.012 and still working.

I believe you are correct, a mead yeast is more closely related to wine yeast, and for a braggot, you might want to use an ale or lager yeast. That said, I haven't made a braggot quite yet. Soon I will know more.

Thanks all, made my first braggot a couple of weeks back and while it went from 1.100 down to 1.020 in the first four days, it has been slowly but steadily lowering since then (down to .014 currently) and definitely drier then I expected (planned for it to be 20 when done to be honest, going to have to add some malto and lactose to compensate for the coffee and roast starting to overpower the flavour if it keeps lowering).

Looking at using a saisons yeast and a tripel yeast for my next ones now.

Back