Braggot Acidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lutherslagers

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to reduce acidity (taste, not pH) in a Braggot post-fermentation (its in a keg on CO2)?

Yooper, do you think Calcium Carbonate will behave the same in something that is 50-60% malt?

How much Calcium Carbonate did you use? Any prep, or just dump it in the keg?

Making it sweeter will make it seem less acidic. Yeast produce malic acid, IIRC, so you could've done a malo-lactic fermentation, since lactic is perceived to be softer, but I don't think that'd work once its been kegged.

Yooper, do you think Calcium Carbonate will behave the same in something that is 50-60% malt?

How much Calcium Carbonate did you use? Any prep, or just dump it in the keg?

I think it would. I don't recall the amount, but I'm sure you could easily google it. I followed a formula to drop acidity a certain %, but it's been a long time and I simply can't remember any more- sorry!

I mixed it with water and stirred it in. This was done preferment, though.

FWIW I've usually seen winemakers recommend calcium carbonate for pre-ferment pH increase, and potassium bicarbonate for post-ferment pH increase. I haven't been able to find out why that is, though.

My experience with braggots is that they need a compromise of aging time - longer than the equivalent beer of the same strength, but not the years demanded by good meads. It will mellow considerably if you leave it alone for 6 months!

Back