BRÜLOSOPHY 2021 GENERAL HOMEBREWER SURVEY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who knows...guess someone just wants to know how inclusive the Homebrew community is. I just want to know why they didn’t ask me first if I was ok answering a question about my income or age...lol.

I don't mind sharing that I'm a dorm dwelling non binary pacific islander (actually that is technically true) widowed muslim homosexual retired military with 5 kids and a moustache living in Andorra (had to look that one up), but if I admit to brewing 200+ gallons a year will I get a knock on the door?

I took the survey, but why would they put in a question about sexual orientation?

The form asks if you want to answer those questions, not sure if that was in there originally or they changed the survey. Assuming, they want to see what correlations they can extract based on race/age/gender/orientation/etc

I took it. I didn't see any question about race, only gender, which I suppose also gets answered with the beard question. There is a perception that homebrewers are overwhelmingly bearded white guys who work in tech. I know a lot of homebrewers and, yes, they are mostly bearded white guys, but they don't all work in tech. There are also a few women, not many, but there are, and their numbers are growing. I guess this survey is trying to prove or disprove this notion.

The facial hair question was really out of left field. Surprised they didn't ask people to report their Norwood Stage 1-7 status while they were at it.

The survey really needed a "indifferent/IDK" option for the opinion-based questions. I've never looked into first wort hopping and have 0 opinion on it.

A lot of the questions are asked in their survey every year. So some of these questions are be about topics that were a big deal and perhaps controversial a few years ago that don't get a whole lot of air time today. I do remember FWH being all the rage a few years ago but not so much today. I think they are also trying to get at whether interest in LODO is growing or is it fading away. Same for the sour beer brewing and lager brewing. I think Marshal loves brewing and drinking lager and hopes every year to see it gaining share in the homebrewing community (I see that in pro craft beer too...every year is going to be the year of the lager and then we just get a slightly new spin on IPA).

The questions about gender/identity/race etc are clearly trying to understand if the community is becoming more inclusive. No doubt homebrew community could benefit from increased diversity and seems AHA and other influencers have goals and initiatives to help us move in that direction. I guess again looking for and hoping to see that these efforts are making a difference.

I took the survey, but why would they put in a question about sexual orientation?

i thought that was funny too....damn, now i should have put other, and said i like watching girls pillow fight!

I identify as a polar bear!

so you like lagers? and answered 200+ gallons a year?

i just liked the last question! it went in line with my religon, and yes i think InBev is the devil!

I think Marshal loves brewing and drinking lager and hopes every year to see it gaining share in the homebrewing community (I see that in pro craft beer too...every year is going to be the year of the lager and then we just get a slightly new spin on IPA).
The requirement for additional equipment beyond a stovetop and bucket in order to brew lagers will always relegate it to a minority of homebrewers. Even the farthest back corner of my basement is still too warm for a lager, which means I have to build a fermentation chamber in order to brew them. That, and they take months to truly come into their own while there are ale recipes that you can literally be drinking 2 weeks from brew day. And last but not least (and I expect this may offend some people but whatever) lagers are the exact style that macrobreweries specialize in, making them the least cost-effective style to brew at home. There's so many options for lagers at the grocery store, and almost all of them are gonna be cheaper than homebrew.

This survey is a total load of nonsense, of course.
Most of it does not pertain to brewing at all. It's egregious, as if brewing or brewing techniques (or pretty much whatever else in life) has anything to do with the majority of those questions.

I'm actually considering moving this thread to DRMM, so all of you can have a better go at it.

:goat:

The facial hair question was really out of left field. Surprised they didn't ask people to report their Norwood Stage 1-7 status while they were at it.

The survey really needed a "indifferent/IDK" option for the opinion-based questions. I've never looked into first wort hopping and have 0 opinion on it.

A lot of those answer choices were not a good fit, but I had to check something. Needed a "n/a" choice for them. But, the survey is about as scientific as anything else Brulosophy does.

^troo^

Many of the questions did not have a full scope of responses available. For instance, the question on "brewing system" did not include any choices that used gas indoors.

But the real fun was the set of juicy questions at the end - LoDO, HSA, extract vs everything else, decoction good?, use a secondary?, and on and on. I might have to go look at their 2020 responses just to see where peoples' heads are at :)

Cheers!

Hey homebrewers, take this survey:
Do you drive a Mini Cooper? No
Do usually wear really expensive shoes? No
Do you know any females that can land a jet at night on an aircraft carrier in a rainstorm? yes.
How much ammunition is in your house right now? Don't know, would have to take a day off work to count it all.

so where, and when do i get the results? i want to see answers for a couple...like how many homebrews are mormon, or muslim....

I don't mind sharing that I'm a dorm dwelling non binary pacific islander (actually that is technically true) widowed muslim homosexual retired military with 5 kids and a moustache living in Andorra (had to look that one up), but if I admit to brewing 200+ gallons a year will I get a knock on the door?
Andorra, great place to ski and party.

To ensure that the Homebrewing community has the prescribed level of diversity among its ranks...

here is a link to previous survey results
https://brulosophy.com/2020/07/16/2020-general-homebrewer-survey-results/
The longitudinal data are interesting but only 3 years so far. Be interesting to see shift in prevalence of responders from the various online communities. Not understanding why moderators here choose to hide the participation invitation in DRMM. Seems would be better idea to show HBT is a growing community. I really hope results show facebook groups is not taking over the homebrewing online space I'd hate to feel compelled to try that out.

^^ even if it is i'll hang here. I get my brew geek needs filled and don't have to deal with all the other **** the other platforms have. Damn hippy crap is messing with my chi. LOL. :mug:

The questions about gender/identity/race etc are clearly trying to understand if the community is becoming more inclusive. No doubt homebrew community could benefit from increased diversity and seems AHA and other influencers have goals and initiatives to help us move in that direction.
No one cares...no one is here for "diversity"...except "beer diversity"...none of that PC crap has one iota to do with brewing...

Why can't we just brew for the love of beer and not care about what the other person may or may not look like, act like, feel like...etc...

Back