Boy do I feel Stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyDude

Loud Mic
Reaction score
So I come home yesterday from work, go to pull a test draught from my most recent filled keg from 3 days ago to check on carbonation status, and nothing comes out!

so of course i try my nearly empty keg and it too has not response. not even air, it is just nothing.

I open the keezer thinking I must be out of gas, but i realize that the lines are frozen and the glass f water I keep in there with the thermometer and sensor is also frozen.

DUH!

Freakin out a little, I pull the beer lines off the kegs, unplug the keezer, turn the stat to warmer, and pull the frozen water out. luckily it was not totally frozen, but frozen enough to keep the sensor and thermometer stuck.

after about 2 hours, I was able to see that the ice had losened enough to pull things out, I put the lines back on, and was able to pour again.

I guess the sensor doesnt like being in water. (I put t there thinking it would read the temp with less fluctuation... oops) I wont be doing that any more!

all I can say is its a good thing I drink everyday or it may have gotten worse over time!

I tape mine to one of the kegs and insulate with an old koozie or towel. That seems to work rather well and has a much higher thermal mass.
If you are going to sumberge the probe I would at least wrap it in plastic wrap or something to make a water barrier.

I tape mine to one of the kegs and insulate with an old koozie or towel. That seems to work rather well and has a much higher thermal mass.
If you are going to sumberge the probe I would at least wrap it in plastic wrap or something to make a water barrier.

I like the water barrier idea a lot. Thanks for the tip!
When i checked on it last night the temp of the water was at 42, so I think she might survive. Bur, I think i need to replace my connectors :( the O2 connector was leaking just a little, so I turned off the O2 and disconnected until I can get to the LHBS this weekend for replacements...

Latest posts

Back