box of brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems pretty legit to me. a little on the high side cost wise, but not too terribly expensive. Give it a try!!

I am new to home brewing and their kits helped me understand the process. The recipe/instructions were easy to read and in the end I had a great beer.

I got in early on their beta launch last October and each month I get a new beer to brew. I highly suggest the service and their beer.

If you are looking for small batch kits, that seems reasonable. You can't really compare kit costs by the gallon since you are mostly just paying for convenience.

If you are looking for the most cost effective way to brew, then skip the kits entirely. There is a big section just devoted to recipes on this site and billion others on the web. Most online sites will sell you whatever quantities you want of any ingredients. (Except hops - that is usually by the ounce.)

I've thought about doing smaller batches myself. Not just as a cost thing entirely but also as a way to brew a variety of recipes, tweak and experiment with less risk. Also the space savings.

I found a link for small batch all grain kits that looks interesting. Anyone heard of or have thoughts on

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/

If the goal is to tweak and experiment, then kits don't really fit the bill. The "value" of the kit is that is a tested recipe with all premeasured ingredients. You are paying for someone's expert opinions and the time they spent measuring and packaging. If you are going to strike out on your own, you may as well just buy the ingredients separately and save the cash.

To the OP - Those seem to be good kits. Better? Well, you can get different kits. IMO, don't worry too much, try kits or recipes as you like.

Kits are a good concept. For example, I am a noob with less than a year of brewing and started with kits, tried all grain and was successful, and now I am going to try extract brewing. It does not matter if you use a big all grain brew sculpture or a 1-gallon extract kit. I think all the opinions from the previous posters are reasonable. Just take the parts you find encouraging.

Go for it. Enjoy.

I've thought about doing smaller batches myself. Not just as a cost thing entirely but also as a way to brew a variety of recipes, tweak and experiment with less risk. Also the space savings.

I found a link for small batch all grain kits that looks interesting. Anyone heard of or have thoughts on

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/

I re-started brewing after a many years long hiatus with one gallon kits from brooklyn brew shop. I bought one of their full kits, one refill, and then on jumped into all grain brewing with both feet. The nice thing about these smaller kits is that you get a chance to try different brews and you don't have to spend much time brewing, store a lot of equipment, or figure out where to store all the beer you're making. You can probably use the pots you already have in the kitchen. With a one gallon kit and a couple extra gallon fermentation jars, you can brew something different every week. I think these are great ways to get going - a little more expensive on a per bottle basis, but a huge convenience factor in the price.

So I used to pay a buck a bottle for beer using the small kits and my equipment investment was about $50. Now my beers cost between .30 and .50 each - but I have $3,000 worth of stainless pots, connectors, fermenters, and kegs, as well as hoses, scads of beer making tools, and a great keezer. So after 4,300 to 6,000 beers, the cost of my equipment gets paid back!!

So the reality is beer brewing is a hobby you drink and share - a lot like cooking great food. And if you want to start on a small scale, or always brew on a small scale, the cost per bottle is not the issue. You'll still get the satisfaction of trying a new hobby, experimenting with tastes and flavors, and have the pride in saying "I made that".

My advice - go for it.

I agree here. $75 is a little much to pay for a beer Kit. I myself use these guys. http://www.brewersbestkits.com/

I have never had a problem and you can find a great kit from $30-$60 I get mine somewhere in the middle. I have also found that you can tweek these once you get a few under your belt. The last 2 kits I have gotten I added to and they actually turned out better then just following the kit receipe. So
Cheers and I hope this helps. :mug:

Back