Bourboned beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HexKrak

Reaction score
For those of you who've used bourbon or bourbon soaked oak in their beer,

Does the bourbon taste mellow out? I recently added my bourbon soaked oak to an Arrogant bastard clone I'm working on, and after 4 days the bourbon taste and smell dominates the beer. I know some bourbon lovers who would be glad to help take care of this "problem" but I was hoping for a far more subtle addition (as it is with the beer I'm trying to clone). I'd like to start an adjusted batch shortly after I bottle rather than waiting a month for it to condition, so any tips would be appreciated.

It will mellow a little bit, but it will take awhile. Did you actually dump bourbon in the beer? Or just soaked chips? I prefer a subtle flavor, so I soak my chips, then strain them and dry them. In my opinion, it mimicks a used barrel better than just dumping bourbon in it.

I used one of the 5 gallon barrels that were available here earlier this year from a distillery in Texas. The first batch I had put some Maker's Mark in the barrel to keep it moist and the flavour was pretty strong at first. It's been almost 6 months in the bottle and it has mellowed nicely. If you have the time to wait it should turn out nicely.

Terje

With the amount I added to the jar with the chips I there was only a little loose liquid at the bottom after a week so I just dumped it in. Next time I'm going to at least strain the liquid.

If you dry the chips after you strain, how do you sanitize them before adding to the beer?

I have used oak chips soaked in whiskey. I was very fearful of over oaking the batch so I did not use enough. It added a very mello finish however to a super bitter IIPA.

I now use these: http://www.shop.5-0bbq.com/Jack-Dan...l-Chips-225lb-Bag-Jack-Daniels-Wood-Chips.htm , as do many other people here.

You can find those wood chips in grocery stores fairly commonly right by the charcoal.

To sanitize I bake, them @ 250 for 20 min. as for extra booze to "dump in" just fill the air lock and accidentally pour some down the tube into the bucket.

I have done just what I described to an IIPA in a paint strainer bag with hops for "extra dry hopping" last night. I used #1 of the chips. I will be checking them daily until the flavor is just right. Then kegging it.

I've done a few whiskey porters. With age the whiskey flavor seems to mellow somewhat compared to the malt, but the hops cut it a little bit at first and that seems to fade after about 2 months. I do go heavy on my whiskey when I make them tho, on purpose (was a whiskey fan before I became a beer nut). Id say if its too much whiskey flavor at first, the flavor profile will definetely change after awhile but its still going to be too whiskeyish for you later.

It sounds like I'll have to recomend this one to my friends who have a taste for bourbon, and save a case for myself to open a few months down the road.

Thanks to everyone for the input, Arrogant bastard attempt 2 will be significantly different.

With the amount I added to the jar with the chips I there was only a little loose liquid at the bottom after a week so I just dumped it in. Next time I'm going to at least strain the liquid.

If you dry the chips after you strain, how do you sanitize them before adding to the beer?

I don't dry them completely. Either way, I'm never overly concerned about infection once my beer is fermented. The alcohol in the beer should kill off any bugs that may be on whatever I'm adding. The only infection I've ever had (other than on purpose) was when I tried to use a bottling bucket as a primary and didn't full clean the spigot.

I now use these: http://www.shop.5-0bbq.com/Jack-Dan...l-Chips-225lb-Bag-Jack-Daniels-Wood-Chips.htm , as do many other people here.

You can find those wood chips in grocery stores fairly commonly right by the charcoal.

I was under the impression they stopped making these years ago? I used to buy them, but I stopped seeing them. I'll have to check to see if I can get them again.

I made an Oak Aged Amaretto/Bourbon Porter recently and it was probably the best beer I have ever brewed. It has a subtle Bourbon flavor, with a hint of almond, and good vanilla from the wood. I don't like overly strong bourbon flavors in mine, so i just used a mason jar, and put several ounces of oak chips in, 1/2 pint of Woodford Reserve, and 1/2 pint of DisArrono, and let it them soak for the 2 weeks, the beer was in the primary. Then poured the entire concoction into the secondary, and let set for about 4 weeks, then bottled.....This stuff has been flying out of my fridge! The porter was a Sierra Nevada clone from Austin Homebrew.

Back