bourbon soaked wood chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I took a mason jar and filled it with some oak chips then filled it the rest of the way with some bourbon.
I'm curious if anyone has tried using dried out chips that had been soaking in bourbon to smoke some of their grains?

I recently used oak chips and soaked them with just enough scotch to absorb it all. It turned out awesome after throwing in a hop bag in secondary for a week.

I took a mason jar and filled it with some oak chips then filled it the rest of the way with some bourbon.
I'm curious if anyone has tried using dried out chips that had been soaking in bourbon to smoke some of their grains?

I've never tried this, or heard anyone doing it. Just thinking about it, I would think any bourbon flavor would get overpowered by the smoke during the smoking process. If you are looking for the bourbon flavor in your final beer, I think adding fresh bourbon soaked oak to secondary would be the way to go. You never know though, you could experiment with your idea and see how it turns out...that's the fun of homebrew!

Latest posts

Back