Bourbon Soaked Cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robopony

Reaction score
I made a chocolate stout last Sunday, that I was planning to rack over some bourbon soaked cherries tonight or tomorrow. A few minutes ago the light hit the cherries just right, and I could swear they're fermenting in there... That can't even be possible right? A closer look revealed lots of little air bubbles rising to the top though.

It gets worse. I decided to grab one to see how they tasted, and realized the cherries (at least those on top) are covered in little white spots, which I'm going to guess can't be normal? Mold? They were completely covered in bourbon when we started, and I just noticed this morning that the liquid no longer covers the top of the cherries, they must have absorbed quite a bit which presumable caused it. Does this mean they're all ruined?

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions/insight right now!

Until a beer tastes horrible, and you let it sit for awhile, I wouldn't give up. Everything could turn out just fine. The sugar in the cherries could be fermenting, and the spots could be yeast. I would think bourbon soaked cherries are not a mold-friendly environment but...time will tell.

Back