Bourbon barrel storage and preparation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAm

Reaction score
Two days ago I picked up a 15 gallon oak bourbon barrel that was emptied the day before.

I understand that keeping some bourbon in it will keep it watertight and ready for filling. Correct?

Is 750 ml enough to do the job? I hope to fill it within eight weeks.

I understand that keeping some bourbon in it will keep it watertight and ready for filling. Correct?
Only if it's full.

Is 750 ml enough to do the job?
Nope.

I assume you're going to put beer in it.
I suggest to either fill it with dechlorinated water or you can leave it dry and hydrate it later. Either approach carries a risk of unwanted microbial growth.

Dang. I put in 1.75 L of Jim Beam today and will roll it around a few times per week to coat the inside and hopefully keep it water tight

Best is to fill ASAP after emptying. You can rehydrate and more or less pasteurize it by filling it with near boiling dechlorinated water and letting the wood swell.

you are going to leach out a bunch of the goodness with boiling water. I'd say throw a few handles in there and rotate it regularly, then when you are ready to fill you can save all that jim beam, it will have picked up a lot of oaky goodness and improved markedly. When you age a beer in it, throw in some of that jim beam to add back some of that fresh white oak barrel goodness.

you are going to leach out a bunch of the goodness with boiling water. I'd say throw a few handles in there and rotate it regularly, then when you are ready to fill you can save all that jim beam, it will have picked up a lot of oaky goodness and improved markedly. When you age a beer in it, throw in some of that jim beam to add back some of that fresh white oak barrel goodness.

Like i said, best option is to fill asap while barrel is still nice and wet. If that's not an option, rehydration is the only real option and near boiling water minimizes (but doesn't eliminate) the contamination risk. Tried years ago to simply rotate liquor and promptly got a contaminated leaky barrel.

Tried years ago to simply rotate liquor and promptly got a contaminated leaky barrel.

Thanks for sharing.

I can fill it up 2/3 with a blend of stout and RIS. Will update in a few months

I want to do a BA stout (I"ve done pseudo BA with charred oak chunks, but never a real barrel). My plan is to brew the beer and rack to a keg after primary ferm. Then I'll go look for a barrel and rack from the keg when I get it. That way I can use the barrel absolutely fresh.

Latest posts

Back