Bourbon Barrel Porter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginian

Reaction score
I'm working on my first batch of a bourbon barrel porter using one of the porter kits from midwest but I've run into a problem. I used oak chips soaked in the bourbon for about 3 days in the primary and removed prior to bottling. Its been in bottles for about 2 months now and still has an extremely tannic finish. I'm guessing that I over oaked; has anyone had a similar problem? Will the tannins mellow with more time? Its so tannic at the moment that its almost undrinkable.

Tannins will mellow, but like a great wine, over years of ageing.

Sorry buddy
How much did you use?

Next time try boiling the chips in water for 5min

They were Crosby and Baker heavy toast oak chips, I soaked in bourbon and used about 2 oz for 3-4 days just prior to bottling. Thanks for the advice, next time I think I'll use lighter toast and boil them first. If at first you don't succeed...

I can't believe contact time of 3-4 days of 2oz of chips would impart much flavor, much less an unbearable tannin flavor. My BB stout soaks on 12oz Maker's Mark and 2oz Medium Toast Cubes for 3 months before bottling. Was the recipe all-grain? Could it be astringent beer and not from the oak?

It was a malt extract/specialty grain recipe. It's possible that the flavor is process is related though it didn't appear until bottling. The beer actually has an excellent vanilla and oak flavor, the tannic flavor is almost entirely in the finish. It has improved since bottling, will plan to give it time and see what happens.

Back