Bourbon Barrel Aged Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So i'm doing a proper Oktoberfest Lager that i'm going to store through the summer. Thinking of doing the lagering in my Bourbon Barrel. Anyone ever have an oak/bourbon oktoberfest?

Seems a bit questionable to me soooooo asking the community....

:fro:

Seeing that you're asking I think it sounds like a terrible idea. Save the barrel for some other beer not a Oktoberfest or pretty much any other lager.

To me the concept sounds intriguing, but I have no idea of it would work out. The bourbon and barrel notes might compliment the maltiness of an octoberfest nicely.

My only comment beyond that is that I'd think you'd want a pretty high ABV for this.

Keep in mind I'm a noob, so take my comments in that context.

What type of Oktoberfest? The very pale, slightly stronger than helles stuff that they serve in Munich? Might be too clean for this. If you are going for a bock / doppelbock it might have traction.

it's a marzen with a clean yeast and light color.

vienna, biscuit, pils,munich I, amber, victory, wheat

8 srm
29 ibu with noble hops

Never had one, but I wouldn't want to ruin a nice oktoberfest with oak.

fair...just a random thought....aging...oak...cold storage....

eh anyhow....thanks for the input everyone.

The idea isn't terrible, if you were talking about the type of Oktoberfest that was of the jr. bock variety. As your recipe stands, consider tossing a small, vodka soaked, oak chip in a bottle of your finished beer, (not the vodka, just the chip, and only one), to get an idea of what it may be like should you choose this path in the future. Let it sit in the fridge for a few weeks, and give it a taste.

Retrospectively I should have made 10 gallons but i did a triple decocotion so I wasn't certain how that'd go, 5 gallons seemed safer....but now i don't want to split it.

Latest posts

Back