Bounced another hydrometer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Sudster

Reaction score
I guess I keep forgetting that hydrometers only bounce once. I trashed another one this weekend right before I needed it. Just brewed up 10g of an APA and was getting ready to take the initial OG . I was sanitizing it in one of my primary buckets and when I pulled it out I was groping for some tubing I put in there also and it slipped out of the beer thief and popped all over the shower floor. I need to fix this. Need some kind of perforated cap that will cover the thief so it won't slip out.

mmm...

I have got through 4 in as many weeks....I had a few HBs last night but I think I posted about it in another thread. Any way I've decided to buy two at a time so I have one spare!

Guess I've done fairly well, I've only busted two in five years. Both times they were sitting in the sink and I smacked them with something. Didn't even have the excuse of being QA'd :cross:

Sudster said:
Hey HB99 , you may be on to something here. I could glue it and drill it.

I wouldn't recommend that. Sounds like a bad idea. :(

I simply wash my glassware seperately and put them out of harms way before proceeding with the rest of the stuff.

I actually have one of those plastic containers that lemonade and tea come it for storing my therm and hydrometer. After I wash them I set them in there to dry. I also place a paper towel (folded several times) in the bottom.

i've never broke one! i always keep it in its case and only take it out when i need it! i use a beaker for my samples so i don't need to sanitize it!!! just rinse it off with hot water before and after use

If you keep breaking them why dont you get the refractometer tht was in this forum a couple of days ago. It is onl 50-6- bucks and you would have to fight hard to drop it and break it.
I use refractometers all day at work and I can imagine using a hygrometer. I would break them all the time

Latest posts

Back