bought too much flaked wheat!! help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoeIPA

Reaction score
i bought all my ingredients for a pineapple citra pale ale where i will add pineapple concentrate and dry hop with citra in secondary. I wanted to add 12 oz of flaked wheat for added head retention and maybe some extra body.. However when i ordered everything and they add it all to 1 grain bill, i accidentially bought 1 POUND 12 oz of flaked wheat! Now what.. Do i try to sift out a pound of flaked wheat? do i add about 6 oz of rice hulls and just brew a hoppy wheat? This is an extract with specialty grain brew.. Here is my recipe:

7# extra pale LME
3# 8 oz 2 row
8 oz crystal 40
4 oz crystal 60
now 1# 12 oz flaked wheat
8 oz rice hulls??

all hopped with Citra and WLP500 trappist ale yeast

Is this a 5 gallon batch? I don't think you can really call that a pale ale. Looks like it's going to be about 7 or 8% alcohol and if you're using a Belgian Trappist yeast, you're probably going to get something closer to a Belgian Golden Ale. You're planning on doing a partial mash right? You'll have enough enzymes to convert the extra wheat so no worries there. I say go ahead and brew it as is.

i'm not trying to stick a particular " style " since it's a bit off the wall.. Just want to make sure there are enough enzymes in the 5 gallon batch to take care of the extra pound of wheat!

perhaps it will be a funky hoppy/pineapple wheat beer?

Yeah, you'll have plenty of enzymes. Sounds like an interesting brew! Good luck! :mug:

Back