Bought conical fermenter - keep the glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backdrifter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here and just completed my introduction in the Introductions forum if anyone would like to know more about me.

I have had the complete Brewers Best kit for about 7 years, and have probably only made four batches of beer in the time. After a relatively recent move, I lost a lot of the pieces. So, last week I visited my local homebrew shop and had them assist me in replacing all of the pieces I was missing. I also bought a glass carboy, ready to move up from the plastic brew buckets.

I have not brewed in the carboy yet, and since then, I found a deal on a used Stout Tanks & Kettles 7.3 gallon stainless conical fermenter that I couldn't pass up.

My question is - is it worth keeping the glass carboy? It was about $40, which isn't the end of the world, but if I won't use it, I'd also rather get my money back and put it towards something else useful like an immersion chiller.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for humoring a complete rookie!

Get a chiller. You could probably make your own for $40.

Extra carboys are nice, but a chiller is far more important, in my opinion.

You have a way to control the temp of the conical during fermentation? That is priority #1. Doesn't have to be fancy; a cool basement works.

Keep it. Having multiple fermenters so you can do more than one batch at a time makes it easier to leave the brews in them for longer. No need to ever rush a brew. I always have multiple brew fermenting at any given time.

Thanks for the input, gents. You both make good points. If there is a chance of using the glass carboy down the road, I'd rather just keep it and have it on hand. It would be nice to be able to ferment more than one batch at at time. Plus, I like supporting my local homebrew shop. I just looked at their inventory and they don't seem to have an immersion chiller that I would want. I guess I'll keep the carboy and add the chiller later.

Prost!

You have a way to control the temp of the conical during fermentation? That is priority #1. Doesn't have to be fancy; a cool basement works.

Thanks TyTanium. I'm going to ferment in my basement. I've monitored it over the past three days and it stays pretty constant at 65 degrees, plus or minus 1 degree at most. I don't plan to do anything else special for my first brew. After that, if needed, I can add a cabinet or fridge with some kind of temp control.

Another vote for keeping it. If you ever want to do something like a RIS, cider, wine, or mead you will want to secondary for several months in your carboy.

Keep it. Great for long term aging. Plus, you will soon learn that you will never have everything you need or want. Good to start building the collection now.

I agree about temp control....
Temp control is by far the most important step in making better beer. Far more important than the style of fermenter.
I suggest tackling temp control and if selling the carboy gives you the extra bucks for a fridge and ranco controller then by all means sell it...

Back