Bought a temperature controller without a probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You either need to return it, or just use it as is.

This is definitely better than nothing, but probably not as accurate for beer fermentation as one with a probe. You'll just have to put the controller in your fermentation vessel and possibly keep the temp a little bit lower than your desired fermentation temp while the yeast are very active.

Use it as is? He needs to buy an RTD or thermocouple as per the specs outlined for the PID.

Can you please elaborate? What specs am I looking at? Because of the acronyms I can't google my way out of this.

From the looks of the specs on the side of it (the pic on ebay) you can just buy a thermocouple or RTD (resistance something something) and hook it up to it.

You could buy some thermocouple wire just twist one of the ends together and use that as a proble attached other end to the controler. I PM'd You

samc said:
Use it as is? He needs to buy an RTD or thermocouple as per the specs outlined for the PID.

Yeah, I didn't pay close attention to the capabilities of the controller. Just assumed this controller would require being placed in the vessel without a probe. That's what I meant by "as is" (which was stupid)

After reading the manual a lot more carefully, it seems that I just bought the wrong thing. This one will only support heating.

I figured you knew by "1 alarm" that it was a single stage controller.

I'm having great luck with my 26 dollar Ebay STC1000 dual stage controller from China. I used Tomsd's Love controller design for mine.

IMG_02664.jpg

Yeah, I didn't really understand that part. I actually bought that same controller from eBay, but it never arrived. Most likley it was stolen from my doorstep :(

The seller is nice enough to resend it, so I'll be building this one as well.

Back