Bought a house and look what we have here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duggyb

Reaction score
Well I have always wanted my own setup but was moving around lots here the last few years but finally bought a house and got super lucky the old guy that lived there used to make fudge. Everything you see was in the room when I bought it except my mini freezer and temp controller. The sink,big deepfreezer ,Habco upright cooler and both tables and shelves were all here already! Time to start planning a HERMS setup, electrical panel is in the laundry room beside this room too!

Suggestions on a budget setup?(now that I have mortgage payments lol)

Want to do a 20 Gallon Setup.

Dude... That is sweet! Seriously. So freaking jealous at the moment but I will get over it.

Congratulations are in order!

Word of caution- older commercial units are not that great energy wise. Not sure where you are located and how cheap power is but id run the cooler for a month, then off next month to see the cost. It can be expensive. Or get one of those wattage meters and do the math.

But all the plumbing, the sinks and prep areas.... score!

Soooo jealous! I'd kill for that pretty big sink alone, we don't even have a laundry sink in our house, so I have to schlep all of my dirty brewing equipment into the house to clean it. enjoy it!!

Wow, I bought my house a few months ago and all I got was a creepy teddy bear stuffed in the crawl space that I had to have my girlfriend get rid of because I figured it would haunt me... haha. Congrats on the house, and the great new setup!

Word of caution- older commercial units are not that great energy wise. Not sure where you are located and how cheap power is but id run the cooler for a month, then off next month to see the cost. It can be expensive. Or get one of those wattage meters and do the math.

But all the plumbing, the sinks and prep areas.... score!

Yes this was my fear also! Hence why it’s unplugged right now, I did plug it in to make sure it functions but I also don’t have a real need for it at this point so it will probably go unused, but it is there if need be I guess!

Good find. Congrats.

Now that you have a mortgage your pay check may not let you do 20 gal batches no matter how much you "want" to.

Haha well I just want the ability to do 20G batches but not all the time, I have brewed on to many small systems me and buddies always seem to be cramming too much grain into and getting poor efficiency haha, but that being said you are correct that the mortgage payments may say otherwise!

And thanks everyone for the congrats! I’m super stoked!

Yes this was my fear also! Hence why it’s unplugged right now, I did plug it in to make sure it functions but I also don’t have a real need for it at this point so it will probably go unused, but it is there if need be I guess!

Haha well I just want the ability to do 20G batches but not all the time, I have brewed on to many small systems me and buddies always seem to be cramming too much grain into and getting poor efficiency haha, but that being said you are correct that the mortgage payments may say otherwise!

And thanks everyone for the congrats! I’m super stoked!
Congrats on the new place with the great brewroom. You can get a kilowatt energy usage monitor for less than $20 on Amazon to check the glass front uprights. Hopefully you'll find they are worth keeping as they are cool looking.

You could probably build a DIY 20 gallon electric BIAB system for a few hundred but a manufactured one like high gravity or brew-boss with a controller is going to run you over $1000. That's still probably a lot less than you can build a DIY 3 vessel 20 gallon system with controller.

What is your budget for a new system?

Just thinking about spending takes on a new twist when you buy a home.

I'm betting he'll say: No more than 3 cans of paint...on sale! :D
Oh yeah, I just bought a new one in February so I'm living vicariously by asking him about his new system because I won't be upgrading anything for a while.

Is there 220? If so, that's practically a pre-made brewing environment. Is that ventilation at the end above the freezers?

The panel is just behind the sink on the other side in the laundry room so running 220 will be super easy, I got room in the panel also. Prolly have to run less than 4Ft of line.

And there is two windows in the room one on each end(the room is the length of the house) but i think i am going to do a Condensate hood direct opposite of the sink and then i can run a line straight out the back of the house.

Congrats on the new place with the great brewroom. You can get a kilowatt energy usage monitor for less than $20 on Amazon to check the glass front uprights. Hopefully you'll find they are worth keeping as they are cool looking.

You could probably build a DIY 20 gallon electric BIAB system for a few hundred but a manufactured one like high gravity or brew-boss with a controller is going to run you over $1000. That's still probably a lot less than you can build a DIY 3 vessel 20 gallon system with controller.

What is your budget for a new system?

I Didnt know that about the KW monitor I will look into that for sure thanks.

And that is where i am stuck, not sure if i should do a 3 vessel system? all in one? etc?

Definitely has to be electric and I would like HERMS but not sure which route to go, I see online complete systems start from $2500-5000 but could i build the same system on a budget of say $1500 or so? not including extras or so but who knows i have also thought about just pulling the trigger on a setup system which would be awesome to start but i think eventually would suck because I didn't build it and i like to do that stuff.

My buddy has a 3 vessel herms system but after brewing on my single vessel ebiab with stainless basket and brew boss controller he’s selling his 3 vessel herms and starting from scratch. My typical brew day with full cleanup is under 4 hours and his is 6 plus. It is certainly something to look into. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on my setup and I couldn’t be happier. High tech where it needs to be and simple where it matters.

Incredible setup by the way. That sink is going to be your best friend. Trust me. Ventilation seems to be your biggest hurdle really but with the outside wall right there it won’t be difficult. Keep an eye on craigslist for used hoods.

Awesome set up. The only thing I would knock it for is that it doesn't appear to have a floor drain.

My buddy has a 3 vessel herms system but after brewing on my single vessel ebiab with stainless basket and brew boss controller he’s selling his 3 vessel herms and starting from scratch. My typical brew day with full cleanup is under 4 hours and his is 6 plus. It is certainly something to look into. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on my setup and I couldn’t be happier. High tech where it needs to be and simple where it matters.
This is exactly what I mean, I have no idea what kind of setup to do, I like the idea of three shiny nice vessels because I have the room for it but is it necessary? Plus it is one more thing to clean for sure.

Incredible setup by the way. That sink is going to be your best friend. Trust me. Ventilation seems to be
your biggest hurdle really but with the outside wall right there it won’t be difficult. Keep an eye on craigslist for used hoods.
Yes ventilation will be super easy actually due to the house being a bi level I have lots of room to just punch a hole out the back of the house and hook it to a hood fan. Or if I wanted a temporary setup do one of the AC style plastic inserts for the screen sliding window.

Awesome set up. The only thing I would knock it for is that it doesn't appear to have a floor drain.
The floor drain is actually under where the sink is and behind the wall in the laundry room, would be extremely easy to extend it over a few feet but honestly I am a pretty OCD clean type guy so I don't really like sloppy wet floors, I think I'll keep it in the sink.
I'm coveting that huge sink!
Yes this is the best part by far, has already come in so handy and I haven't even brewed yet!

Back