Bottom cropping wlp 300 with a harsh smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepicklebrewer

Reaction score
I am going to brew with some wlp 300 today. I made a starter from some harvested (bottom cropped yeast). The beer I harvested the yeast from was not fantastic. I think the fermentation got too hot and there were just to many fusel alc. It had a very sharp taste and a smell that burns the nose, but doesn't smell like much. The yeast also has this smell and the starter smells like it, but isn't a terrible odor in comparison to how the yeast and the beer smelled.

Am I going to be okay using this to ferment my batch? Sorry if I missed any info. I'll be decanting in a few hours and am going to taste it.

Well I'm probably just going to use it. I think the fusels stayed with the stored yeast because the starter tastes fine and only smells a little. I'll update in a month or so how it went.

I learned it the hard way, and you will probably to, but just for the record, NEVER EVER use yeast that smells or looks somehow weird, or your beer will be weird too.

Well it's a little late now so well see. It is just an extract batch with stuff I got for free. The starter tastes fine just oxidized and not at all hoppy obviously. It still has an odd smell I just think I stressed the yeast out way to much when I used it last fermentation.

Buy SAF 05. Get to know it like your favorite spice. The packets are 2.50 avg in 6 packs. I washed and reuse yeast, etc. However all that time and labor is not worth pitching old yeast with off flavors IMO. If you were to get some special yeast from a brewer and just loved it I'd prob feed it and keep it going until I can take from it like a scooby or sourdough starter for my batches and fridge it. It will die off in a few months just dormant in the fridge but you can feed it as if it were pitched in wort. Just a thought.

Well it's a little late now so well see. It is just an extract batch with stuff I got for free. The starter tastes fine just oxidized and not at all hoppy obviously. It still has an odd smell I just think I stressed the yeast out way to much when I used it last fermentation.
I have never tasted a starter. I don’t know how that would help anything.

Back