Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodeno

Reaction score
Okay, gravity looks good and I'm ready to bottle!

I cleaned bottles in some no rinse sanitizer and brushed the inside,
I then placed all bottles in 12 gallons of water no rinse sanitizer. From there I pulled bottles out and peeled labels.

If I were to bottle tonight, should I soak in sanitizer again?

Thanks!

Yes. Use no rinse sanitizer immediately before you use any item, including bottles. There really isn't a need to use them before you clean things. No rinse sanitizers need to still be wet to be effective. Once it has dried, it isn't doing a thing for you. :mug:

Way to many sanitation steps in there. Rinse bottles immediately after emptying them. Clean the bottles in the dish washer (or sink). Then on bottling day sanitize and fill while they are still mostly wet.

It's harder to infect a batch of beer than the books make it sound.

When I have to peel labels I do it by soaking in a mixture of water and ammonia as a separate step from bottling. When ready to bottle, I clean the bottles with a no rinse cleanser. They go onto the cleaned bottle tree to dry. Once the beer is primed, I fill a vinerator with sanitizer. Dip each bottle into the sanitizer, then pump it several times on the vinerator to sanitize the inside. Immediately fill and cap with a sanitized cap.

Okay, gravity looks good and I'm ready to bottle!

I cleaned bottles in some no rinse sanitizer and brushed the inside,
I then placed all bottles in 12 gallons of water no rinse sanitizer. From there I pulled bottles out and peeled labels.

If I were to bottle tonight, should I soak in sanitizer again?

Thanks!

"Cleaned bottles in no rinse sanitizer" worries me. You are aware that a sanitizer is not actually "cleaning" the bottles? If some of these bottles came from friends who may not have rinsed well after using or sitting around somewhere. ..you really need to clean them prior to sanitizing. Many here (including myself) use oxy clean, mix with hot water in bucket or bath tub and fill with bottles. Not only will those labels be floating on top of water, but the bottles will be squeaky clean after a couple rinses. Last step is sanitize just prior to filling!

Here is a link to some really good advise. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

That said here is my system:
1-rinse bottles after use
2-when I have 12 I put them in a 5 gallon bucket w/say 3.5 gal of OxyClean
3-let them soak until I have another 12 bottles. By then the labels slip off
4-rinse the bottles and let dry over night.
5-put the dry bottles in a large covered plastic container that can hold about 1 1/2 cases in 6 pack holders.
6-on bottling day soak for a few min in StarSan to sanitize
7-put them on the bottom rack of my dishwasher after spraying the rack very well w/StarSan.
8-put the bottling buck on top of the dishwasher as Revy describes in the above link.

Back