Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi was wondering if you can put your priming sugar in your fermenter b4 you bottle it?
No. Priming sugar goes into the bottling bucket, not your fermenter. Mix it with 1 pint of water and boil for at least 5 minutes. Pour into your bottling bucket while still hot. Rack your beer from your fermenter to your bottling bucket and bottle your beer.

Oh I have no idea what a bottling bucket is nor racking beer as I normally use a teaspoon of sugar per bottle but have been having trouble with gassy beers?

scottysssute said:
Oh I have no idea what a bottling bucket is nor racking beer as I normally use a teaspoon of sugar per bottle but have been having trouble with gassy beers?

A bottling bucket is a 5 gallon food grade bucket with a spigot installed about 3/4 of an inch from the bottom that you attach a hose an a bottling wand to so you can use gravity to fill all your bottles. You use 5 ounces of corn sugar per 5 gallons of beer to properly carbonate most beers. Some use a little less. You have better consistency if the sugar is added to the whole batch vs adding a little to each bottle.

Racking just means transferring from one container to another. A bottling bucket is a pail like your fermenter that has a spigot on the bottom. You attach your hose to the spigot and use what's called a bottling cane to fill the bottles.

Not absolutely necessary, as you've found out, but it makes life much simpler and will give you more consistent results.

So, the process would be:
1 - make a sugar solution as noted above and put it into the bottling bucket.
2 - rack your beer into the bottling bucket, trying to keep from aerating it.
3 - rack the beer into the bottles.

Ok

So I can't add sugar to my fermenter?

I would say you probably can, if you make a solution first. The problem is you have to be very careful to stir it in gently so you don't aerate the beer.

By pouring the sugar solution in an empty bucket and racking your beer into that bucket the sugar gets evenly mixed without stirring.

In order to have it mix evenly, you should pour the boiled sugar water to another bucket/fermenter, and then transfer the beer on to that mix. So I would say no, you should not put the sugar into your fermenter.

Even if you bottle directly from your fermenter, if you add the sugar, you're going to need to get it mixed in with your beer and that's going to stir up trub and also potentially lead to oxidation. Not what you want to be bottling.

When your beer is done fermenting, what is your normal bottling procedure?

You can, just know that there is a big probability that you will stir up yeast/trub/sediment into solution while you mix it and as a result end up with more sediment in the bottom of your bottles.

This should be the proper page in the free How to Brew book online. http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html Great resource for the basics. I highly reccomend everybody who is starting out give it a read. True the material is from the first edition and is a little dated, but many of the principles are the same.

Wow! A teaspoon of sugar per bottle! Those are bottle bombs in the making.
I've never added more than several ounces per 5-6 gallon batch.
As everyone else has stated, boil your priming sugar and rack it into a clean bucket, rack your beer off of the sediment/trub/yeast into the bottling bucket, gently stir, and bottle.

Back