Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt that beer would condition properly. I think that the cap would pop off.

What size are the bottles you have? If they're small enough that you're willing to risk it, then I'd say to do ONE next time you bottle, and see how it turns out. And even if it did work, then I'd do 2-3 the next time, slowly stepping up until the plastic earns your trust.

If not the lid, then they'd blow out the seam. Have you ever seen carbonated ANYTHING in one of them? They're made to hold still beverages like milk and juice...not anything carbonated. They might hold beer that's ALREADY carbonated, but even that's doubtful.

I agree with Felixio. If those are milk bottles, they aren't designed to hold carbonated beer. They could very well explode. If the caps are anything like the ones on milk bottles over here, they will blow right off.

definitely wouldn't use those. If the blowing-the-top-off issue wasn't a problem, I'd seriously question whether they are 100% air tight. If not, you will work hard to produce a batch of uncarbonated, oxidized beer.

If you could seal them they would split/blow. However, the lid will leak with any pressure on it and the beer will be flat.

Is it cool to bottle into these? I got them from a plastic distributor near me. They're 1l and made food grade as far as I'm aware. I got 22 of them for less than 1/3rd the price i was paying for 48 glass bottles. Thanks

but those 48 glass bottle will last nearly forever though untold batches. Some of my bottles are from the 50's-60's.

If you want plastic use the PET soda/beer bottles. they are designed to hold pressure.

Back