Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarry

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently started bottling in a variety of different size bottles. If friends are over I break out the 22 ounces, otherwise I stick to 12-16 ounces. I have notice that the head on the 22 ounces is not as good as the one on the 12 ounces and the retention is poor. I have noticed this on 4 different types of beer. I have let all of them age in the bottle for 3-4 months so I don't think its a carbonation issue persay. With that said, maybe the bigger bottles need more sugar to achieve the ideal carbonation and I should pick a bottle size. Anyway, curious what everyones thoughts are. Thanks

bigger bottles can take longer.

assuming its not a carbonation issue, it could be the bottles themselves if its only the 22s.
22's are bigger with the same size neck and it could be a build up of oils and residue.
give them the full treatment like they were given to you dirty.

A bleach/oxyclean soak
wash with a brush and soapy water (no dishwasher shortcuts)
wash them with a brush again with water only
rinse them, dry them
then put them back into your normal wash/sanitize routine.

Do you bulk prime or prime each bottle? If you bulk prime (add about 5oz of sugar into 2 cups of boiling water, cool and add to bottling bucket, then siphon on top) it shouldn't be an issue. If you bottle prime you'll need to adjust your sugar to the size of bottle.

More volume, more sugar. I use about a 3/4 tsp per 16oz bottle - so about 1 1/4 tsp for a 22-24oz bottle.

I bulk prime and wonder if the sugar is just not enough to get a good carbonation in the larger bottles. When I say its not a carbonation issue, I was referring to the fact that the smaller bottles are perfect. You can see a difference b/w the 12/16/22. I can't be the only one who bottles in differnt sizes. I would expect full carbonation at 3 months.

Bulk priming will be more consistent as long as everything is homogeneous. If priming sugar is concentrated to the bottom of your bottling bucket then some bottles will be under carbd and others over carbd. I prefer bulk for ease & convenience. Just add.the priming sugar prior to racking into bucket & gently swirl afterwards. Practice makes perfect :p

Back