Bottling worries...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am about to bottle my first batch: Blonde Ale OG 1.045, WY1056.

It fermented in primary for 1 week, then conditioned in secondary for 2 weeks.

I plan to rack to a bottling bucket, mix with the appropriate amount of sugar, and bottle.

My concern, is that the whole point of racking and conditioning is to get the sediment (yeast included) out of the beer. The beer looks quite clear after this time. So, when I bottle, how could there possibly be enough yeast left in the beer to carbonate in the bottle?

I've had a batch bulk age for four months in secondary after a four week primary. Carbed up with zero issue.

There are literally millions upon millions of yeast cells in suspension in even the clearest beers. Don't worry, it will carb.

Yeah,no worries,m8. Yeast cells being microscopic,there can be a whole bunch of'em in suspension,& you'd never see them.

When you pitch your liquid yeast you are pitching approximately 100,000,000,000 yeast cells. And most of what you pitch is starter wort. There will be plenty of yeast in there even if it's crystal clear. :)

Thanks for the backup gents, I took the plunge! Hoping I don't get any oxidation / infection issues. How long can i expect before carbonation is complete?

i don't bottle much but 3-4 weeks seems to be a safe number. then a week in the fridge. i always try after 2 weeks at room temperature and a week in the fridge. most of the time they aren't ready.

Latest posts

Back