Bottling with washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenniferBropez

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed and am fermenting a lager. I plan on lagering in bulk after a diacetyl rest, cold crash and racking to secondary. I have have had to wait quite some time for carbonation to happen when the beer has gone through all these steps and I was wondering if anyone has ever rinsed some yeast and added a little with priming sugar to ensure a more expedient carbonation of their lagered beer. If so, how much would you use?

So, instead of messing with adding yeast at bottling, why don't you perform the lagering step in the bottles once they're carbed?

Also, I would skip the secondary. It's not needed. Doing a secondary on a beer where fermentation has ceased that you plan to lager is asking for oxidation problems.

So, instead of messing with adding yeast at bottling, why don't you perform the lagering step in the bottles once they're carbed?

Also, I would skip the secondary. It's not needed. Doing a secondary on a beer where fermentation has ceased that you plan to lager is asking for oxidation problems.

Hey Rob, I know others lager in bottles but I have always gotten great results with lagering in bulk with no oxidation problems. I make enough beer that when I rack to secondary the only head space is right below the airlock. I purge the carboy with co2 before transfer as well.

What I really am looking for is whether or not anybody has tried using rinsed or washed yeast for bottle conditioning after lagerig in bulk rather than purchasing dry yeast to ensure an expeditious bottle conditioning.

Thank you,
Ben

Back