Bottling with Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
Ok, I've read a ton of threads & my head is starting to spin. Can someone just cut to the chase & please answer the following questions?
I brewed a Oatmeal Stout about 12 days ago, and just took a gravity reading and taste & it was super bitter. I think it would be great if I could sweeten it during the bottling process. I'm planning to add about 12 oz. of Lactose (I've heard a pound is great & half a pound is great so I'll split the difference) plus the priming sugar. I've also heard I can use Splenda? Also, last time I made a stout I primed with brown sugar & had bottle bombs. Any insight? I'd sort of like to try again but won't if things will explode.

Thanks y'all

I brewed a stout in late august and based off previous experience, I don't plan on drinking it until December. The roasted barley usually makes these very bitter in the beginning but age will subdue this, usually a month or so. Don't add artificial sweetener. I also don't think you need lactose. Give it time is my idea

kuntzbrewing said:
i brewed a stout in late august and based off previous experience, i don't plan on drinking it until december. The roasted barley usually makes these very bitter in the beginning but age will subdue this, usually a month or so. Don't add artificial sweetener. I also don't think you need lactose. Give it time is my idea

+1

Thanks y'all - I think tho that I want it pretty sweet so I'm going to try the lactose 12 oz... no splenda & I might try brown sugar again after more research and lots of stirring...

I bottled a porter with maple syrup once. It turned out great. I used 7.5oz (by weight at room temp) per 5.5 gallons it added a little extra body to mine and some awesome camelized sugar/maple tastes. If anyone who reads this decides to try bottling with syrup make sure its 100% pure north american syrup (read the ingredients should ONLY say maple syrup), not aunt jamima or mrs buttersworth. Most will advertised that they are a product of Canada and US. The cost is higher but one bottle is plenty.

Back