Bottling with Flip-Tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWitGuy

Reaction score
So my APA has just finished in secondary and it's ready to bottle up. My question is which method is best (i.e. carb tablets, LME, priming sugar, etc) I guess which method has the best consistency?

So my APA has just finished in secondary and it's ready to bottle up. My question is which method is best (i.e. carb tablets, LME, priming sugar, etc) I guess which method has the best consistency?

I prefer using corn sugar, measured and boiled and added to the bottling bucket. I used to just put it in the bucket and then rack onto it, trusting the gentle motion of the beer to mix it evenly, but I have had some inconsistent carbonation recently, and since I cold crash all my beer now where I didn;t before, I'm assuming the motion isn't enough with the colder beer, so I give it a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon. I use the carbonation calculator in Beer Smith to determine the amount of corn sugar, but I believe there are online calculators as well, and John Palmer's "How to Brew" has a nomograph in the back for determining the amount as well. The amount of sugar can vary depending on the volumes of CO2 desired and the warmest temperature the beer was fermented at (which affects how much CO2 is already in solution).

Back