Bottling wine in Mickey's (32oz) with a plastic screw cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has/had experience with using them 32 oz. beer bottles for bottling wine? I have screw caps that fit those bottles but I am not sure if it is a good idea or not? Any advice would be most gracious. Thanks.

For short term, it'd probably be ok. I don't know how well the tops screw on, and if they are airtight when reused, though.

Well, they are not reused caps. I accidentally ordered plastic tops from Austin Homebrew that didn't fit my threaded wine bottles, but they do fit the 32 ounce beer bottles that you see from the convenience stores. Them big assed bottles! I am just concerned about the plastic screw caps. They are black with some sort of plastic insert inside of them. Wondering if anyone has experience with bottling wine using them? And if they are gonna be sufficient for wine?

Back